Author Topic: Some lessons learned  (Read 883 times)

Offline No_my_pie

Some lessons learned
« on: September 01, 2015, 08:22:21 »
I went for a short ride out yesterday afternoon and learned a couple of lessons...
Riding near to Manchester Airport, out of curiosity I turned up what used to be a part of the outer perimeter road but has now been gated off. The road is a steep up-hill and as I attempted to do a  slow u-turn in front of the gate I put my right foot down, then realised that the bike had canted over past the balance point, and I was stuck - I didn't have the strength to lift it upright again. I took the only option which was to kill the engine and lay the bike gently on it's side, resting on handlebar end and foot pegs.
Having laid the bike down I was able to get clear and set about picking it up again. I saw on YouTube a video of a bloke picking a Goldwing up by turning his back to it, bending his knees and lifting it by the rear grab rail and handlebar. The same method worked for me, and I was able to lift the Strom upright.
Apart from my pride, my Muppet moment did no damage, but the lessons learned are:
        Don't attempt a right hand u-turn on a steep up-hill road. It will end in tears.
       There is a point at which the bike is going down. the bike can be laid on its side with no damage.
       Having laid the bike down the right technique can get it upright again, quickly and with no ill effect to         bike or rider.
Here Endeth the lessons for today.
Regards.   Peter.

Offline Stromtrooper james

• Bike: DL650 2011 70K+miles DL1000 2017 12k miles
Re: Some lessons learned
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 08:57:52 »
I have used the "let it go" (singing frozen) technique a lot never done any real damage. And lifting the bike with your back to it is the best advice I can give anyone on here! It is almost easy.

Glad it is only your pride that hurts.

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 09:22:09 »
Hope you put the sidestand down first before picking it up. Stops it going right over.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 13:07:30 »
That is true. Hope all is well :)

Offline No_my_pie

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 20:46:11 »
Quote from: "Rusty Nuts"
Hope you put the sidestand down first before picking it up. Stops it going right over.
Make that 4 lessons learned. I didn't and had to lean over the bike and push the stand down with my hand.