Author Topic: Starting problems  (Read 2347 times)

Offline awicks

• Bike: DL650 L2, White
Starting problems
« on: August 16, 2015, 13:23:27 »
When I tried to start my bike this morning, it didn't want to start :-(

Turned the ignition on, checked it was in neutral, pulled in the clutch and pressed the starter button - only for nothing to happen (no click, didn't even turn over). There were no error message on the dash. I checked the kill switch which was fine.

After trying a few things I managed to get it started. I took it off the stand, dropped it into 1st gear, pulled in the clutch, pressed the starter button and after a couple of seconds the engined turned and started. Thinking this might be a one off, I set out for my rideout. Unfortunately every time I stop I have the same issue starting and it will only start using the same technique.

Any ideas what is causing my issue? At the moment I am leaning towards it being caused by a dead battery.

Thanks,

Andy

Offline greywolf

Re: Starting problems
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 17:15:06 »
It doesn't sound like a battery problem. You can check that by shorting out the two screw terminals on top of the starter relay when the main fuse resides. Wear eye protection as a large spark is likely. A dodgy clutch switch or starter button switch more likely fits the description as long as there is no CHEC or FI displayed.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline awicks

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 19:31:15 »
Thanks greywolf.

There is no Chec or FI displayed. The red light in the middle of the dash stays on until the engine (eventually) starts.

When pressing the start button, the headlight dims right down, which is what made me think it was a battery issue.

Having spent a morning with the bike not starting properly, when I tried to start it after lunch, the engine fired immediately!

Hoping it starts for the commute in the morning.

Online kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 19:42:25 »
Grey Wolf is correct , it's more than likely a sticky switch on the clutch or start button . The headlight should go out completely when pressing the start button .
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 20:39:12 »
I've had a clutch switch play up and it would start only when it wanted to.

£7 for a replacement and she started first time every time.

I've also had to strip and clean the contacts in the rhs switches and it was full of crud.

Ride Coordinator

Offline awicks

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 20:41:10 »
I ride in all weathers, so this sounds like a distinct possibility! The rain last Thursday was particularly bad which might go someway to explain the timing.

Andy

Offline awicks

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 20:49:15 »
Just been googling and found this "If you drop your Wee on the left side with Suzuki hanguards installed, chances are good you will dis-lodge the plug and spend a lot of time trying to figure out why the bike won't re-start"

I was knocked off back in June and went down on the left hand side and I have the handguards installed. When I took the bike to the garage for repair after the insurance company had approved it, I spent almost ten minutes trying to get it started. The mechanic diagnosed it as a dead battery and replaced it, but it is now sounding like the plug for the clutch safety switch is the most likely culprit. Will have a look in the morning.

Andy

Offline greywolf

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 22:01:46 »
If the clutch lever switch is unplugged the bike will never start using the starter switch button, not just start sometimes. The headlight is powered through a switch in parallel with the starter motor switch on the start button ever since the 2005 Stroms came out. When the button is pressed, the headlights go out.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2015, 22:59:12 »
My clutch switch had a split in the plastic.

Sometimes the split would open up and the connection would not make contact.

Ride Coordinator

Offline obalanga

• Bike: DL650 K8
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2015, 15:06:52 »
I second awicks. I dropped mine on the left side and it would not start. It must have been a partial disconnection somehow because after much fiddling about I asked someone for help and all they did was pull in the clutch and start the bike. I looked like a right idiot then as I could have sworn I had already done that. Anyway I opted to ride non stop home in case it happened again and it was only the next morning that I noticed the clutch switch was loose.
But going back to awicks' issue, I suspect water ingress somewhere. I had similar issues after christmas which seemed to disappear in may. They have returned albeit very mildly since the weather changed despite having had 3 mechanics and an approved dealer trying to nail down the issue to no avail.

Offline joderest

• Our other Strom, Daughters pony
  • Bike: DL650 K6
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2015, 15:25:56 »
Pull the connection off the clutch switch, make a small piece of wire to go between the connections, if bike starts first time all the time, replace the switch, I bought one off e bay for £6.00, no problems since fitting it, it can get a bit dry in the housing, and the little plastic bit snaps off, sometimes making contact, other times not.
At least you will know one way or another if it is the clutch switch.

Offline awicks

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2015, 16:14:30 »
This morning I jiggled the clutch safety switch plug and the bike then started first time. Not sure whether my jiggling did anything, but I will be keeping a close eye on it.

Thank you for all the help and suggestions,

Andy