Author Topic: Side stand after lowering  (Read 2226 times)

Offline madasadad

Side stand after lowering
« on: August 08, 2015, 20:11:48 »
Picked up my bike today and drove it 200 miles home, absolutely loving it!  I got the dealer to lower it and although he assured me the side stand was altered, I can't see any evidence of it.  In fact when I'm seated on the bike the stand snags on the ground on the way down, so I have to lean the bike to the right to get it on position.  Then when getting off it just doesn't feel 'right' too upright.  What length is the standard stand, from hinge to the foot?
2013 650, full Trekker luggage, Givi Airflow, heated grips, scottoiler, hyperpro Spring

Offline Pug27

• Bike: DL1050
Re: Side stand after lowering
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 21:06:17 »
On the OH's 12 plate L0 Wee I've just measure 9.5 inch from base to the centre of hinge bolt or 10 inch to the base of the bracket thing that attaches it to bike (measurements are near enough as its getting dark and bike is on side stand) hope it helps.

Offline Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 21:25:47 »
The sidestand on the Glee was too low when I got mine last November. It's a tall bike and a fairly high centre of gravity. If I parked it on any low camber it was heavy to pick it up to upright. As it hasn't a centrestand as standard then the sidestand has to be short...... I can't see how it could be 'altered'.

Have you lowered the front of the bike on the forks?  :shrug:

Your lowering kit will make the bike more upright on the sidestand. You may have to look for favourable ground to park it and if you fit a centrestand it will need more effort to get it up there!
So how's it going so far then?

Offline madasadad

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 23:19:17 »
Thanks, I'll check the measurement tomorrow.  The forks have been brought about 25mm through the stanchions to accommodate the revised ride height.  When talking to my local Suzuki dealer, he stated they shortened the sidestand foot to the loop on it, to accommodate the drop in height.  I've still about 25mm between foot and loop. As for for centre stand, it's an absolute barsteward to get it onto it!
2013 650, full Trekker luggage, Givi Airflow, heated grips, scottoiler, hyperpro Spring

Offline ziggy

• Bike: DL1000 L4, Vespa 300 GTV
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 06:30:59 »
Once a bike has been lowered it becomes a two man job to get on the centre stand. The 25mm drop on the forks sounds a bit excessive, I thought 12 mm was the max.

Ride safe.

:)
Do it today as there may not be a tomorrow.

Live in Rothley, Leicestershire.

Offline Ali p.

• Bike: DL650 XT AM1
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 07:53:47 »
When you are at home. Just back the bike up onto a piece of timber about an inch thick then put it on the centre stand (rear wheel only) it makes it easy then.

Offline imindoors

• Bike: DL650 L3
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2015, 12:58:49 »
Not sure I can add anything, but I tried a 25/15mm (R/F) drop and although the bike was more upright on sidestand it was still stable enough, also the centre stand was harder to use but definitely not a two man job. I tend to have preload wound right up (pillion duties) so I wonder if that would make a difference.

I ditched the lowering in the end, it felt to wallowy for me. 20K miles later and I'm used to the seat height. (29 inside leg)
I look quick therefore I am.

Offline madasadad

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2015, 13:27:00 »
I can just get it up onto the centre stand!
With the combo of lowering and m star boots I can almost flat foot it
Does the side stand look altered I any way? I just measured it at 10" the same as the post above. I'm def not happy, they charged a fortune to lower the bike and side stand adjustment was meant to be part of it

Offline madasadad

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2015, 19:57:00 »
Does this angle look correct? When I throw my leg over, I need to be careful the momentum doesn't push the bike over!

Offline Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2015, 22:14:25 »
That doesn't look wrong to me. As I said earlier the standard set up left the sidestand too short and on a low point would make it difficult to pick the weight of the bike up!

However at the beginning I had some control problems coming to a stop and insecurity with feet both sides because of my shorter height. I conquered the problem early this spring with 'confidence' really and you might find the same soon enough.  :grin:
So how's it going so far then?

Offline madasadad

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2015, 22:38:49 »
The dealer stated he was going to alter the side stand to accommodate the drop and he was well paid for it!
I can't park the bike on the opposite side of the road with the stand facing to the centre of the road it's too upright.  Of course the problem is the dealer is 200 miles away and my money is in his bank so recourse is unlikely!
Between this and the fact that there was over 100 miles put in the bike between my paying deposit and collection, I'm loving the bike, but feeling less love for the buying experience!

Online UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2015, 11:42:35 »
It's worth contacting the dealership to say you're not happy with it. They might offer a solution/refund? If not you can write a review here of their service. 100 miles between dropping off/collection is not good at all. Were they using it as a demo bike?

What did they say they'd done to the stand, replace or alter? If replacement you should ask for your original parts back (inc dogbones if you don't have them already) as you might want them in future especially if selling the bike on.

Offline madasadad

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2015, 11:52:21 »
I've contact the dealer, Turns out they deemed the side stand didn't need altering so have offered a level of reimbursement of £30 to cover the cost of adjustment.  My local dealer has quoted for £45 so if I can have that covered, ill be happy enough.  I have the original dogbones so that's 100%.
As regards the mileage, he stated that the advert had the correct mileage and the invoice the wrong one.  I'm not going to throw the toys out over that, it was more a principle thing.
Anyway, hopefully it'll get sorted and then I can say the purchasing experience was as satisfying as the bike.

Offline Timmo

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2015, 19:55:48 »
I agree to not throwing your toys out of the pram but, your first post said they assured you the stand had been lowered. So they lied to your face and deserve everything you throw at them if your first post was correct.

Offline madasadad

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2015, 20:15:51 »
Yip, lowering and side stand adjustment were part of the agreement.  In fact at handover there was a comment along the lines of 'we can't lower the centre stand, like we did the side stand!'.  The dealer refused to pay the £45 my local dealer quoted and said he would give me a good discount on any accessories I fancied.  So I asked him about a set of driving/ spot lamps for the engine bars, he offered Givi S310 stating the retail is £150 and a special price of £125 to me! Big deal, Amazon have them at £69 and everywhere else they are 120-130.
I give up!
The joys of buying off the internet.  I felt confident that buying from a recognised and authorised dealer would protect me from this sort of Bull5hit.  
The salesman was off on holiday when I went to collect on Saturday.  They'd known I was coming for a couple of weeks, but even so, they couldn't find the panniers, handover was done by a car salesman who had obviously been press-ganged into handing over the white 2 wheeled thingy on the forecourt stating I don't know anything about bikes, so you'll need to keep me right!
Unfortunately the mist of excitement clouded my otherwise organised demeanour.  
At least the bikes a good one!
And it had been washed!