Author Topic: Fitted black Renthal bars to my Glee.  (Read 3969 times)

Offline Snapper

• Ex-V Strom owner
  • Bike: Honda VFR800
Fitted black Renthal bars to my Glee.
« on: June 29, 2015, 14:18:37 »
Personally, I've never much liked the look of silver-painted bars on any bike and when choosing the V-Strom as my new bike, vowed that I would one day change them for black ones - yesterday was that day  :) !

Here's a familiar sight to many of you ...

That was my (2012) V-Strom as it was when I got it a couple of weeks ago. Being 6' 4", I really needed to do something about moving the mirrors to get a better view, as all I was seeing was elbows and tarmac  :shrug: . So, the first mod was to add some rather nicely made (powder-coated?) alloy extensions, which push the mirrors higher and wider (bought on ebay for about £20).

I also needed to get some bar risers, not just for my comfort, but also to allow me properly fit the clamp bracket that holds my Garmin Zumo sat-nav to the centre of the bars. I went for the 20mm SW Motech ones, knowing that they would fit without stretching any cables.

The bars that I chose were Renthals - made right here in Blighty  :lala: . The walls on these bars are twice as thick as the standard bars, so new bar end weights were required - I went with these stainless steel ones from R&G Racing.

Installing them was much easier than the Haynes workshop manual had suggested it would be  :fix: . By taking off the mirrors and hand-guards, then removing the handlebar clamps, I was able to move the bars from left to right to create enough slack to slide off each control lever bracket - the switch gear simply comes off in two halves.  

When putting the new bars on, I tilted them ever so slightly further forward than the standard bars had been, thereby gaining even more height and a more forward riding position for myself, which should help me not to 'slouch' down and get a sore back  :old: .

And this was the result ...

Sure, at the end of the day, it's as much a cosmetic mod as a 'performance' one, but it's one that has made this V-Strom owner a lot happier in his 'office'  :grin: .

Offline Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
Re: Fitted black Renthal bars to my Glee.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 19:20:32 »
Nice, I like it!  :clap:   :grin:
So how's it going so far then?

Offline crazyhorse

• Bike: DL800RE M4
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 00:42:12 »
Hi
Could you let me know what model Renthal bars you have used, and is the 'rise' more than the standard bars.
Regards
Crazyhorse

Offline Snapper

• Ex-V Strom owner
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 12:40:40 »
The description on the packet is 'Road Bike High' and the part number is 756-01-BK .

http://road.renthal.com/shop/road-products/road-handlebars/road-se-bars?product_id=2005

They probably look a lot higher than the standard bars, because I have tilted them forwards a little, but in actual fact the dimensions are almost identical. And of course, there are 20mm bar risers on there, too  :wink:

Hope this helps  :shrug: .

ProfG

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 13:03:49 »
Can you give us a link to the weighted bar ends from R&G? The exact ones. Too lazy at this time of day to browse and search for it.   :sleeping-yellow:  :sleeping-yellow:

What weight are they? All the ones I looked at seemed to be almost weightless and not like the original Suzuki ones.

Cheers

Offline Snapper

• Ex-V Strom owner
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 16:56:30 »
The part number on those R&G bar ends is BE0023BK .

http://www.rg-racing.com/browseType/Bar_End_Sliders/Triumph/Daytona%20955i/BE0023BK.aspx

They're obviously not listed as fitting a V-Strom because the Renthal bars have a smaller internal diameter (being thicker walled tubing).

As for the exact weight, I don't know  :shrug: . They're stainless steel and pretty weighty - heavier than the standard Suzuki ones, I'd guess. Oh, be warned, they don't come supplied with those little plastic blanking covers for the allen bolt - I had to source those myself  :GRR: .

I haven't ridden the bike since the bar change (although I'm going on a three-day tour with it tomorrow  :) ), so I can't comment on how they handle vibration, but that's not much of an issue with V-Stroms generally so I don't expect any problems.

Offline Brucey

• Bike: 2013 V-strom 650 (Voyager pack), 1971 Honda C90.
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 19:48:34 »
c   o   o   l    :thumb:

Offline Snapper

• Ex-V Strom owner
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2015, 22:28:23 »
Quote from: "Brucey"
cold    :thumb:

I'll take that as meaning "c-o-o-l"  :grin: .

Damned spell-checker!

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2015, 22:45:42 »
All you need to do now is get rid of those hideous Mirrors  :-x

:thumb:
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline Snapper

• Ex-V Strom owner
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2015, 22:39:55 »
No chance! I like to see what's unfolding behind me and these mirrors are excellent for that  :thumb: .

Offline imindoors

• Bike: DL650 L3
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2015, 22:04:57 »
Quote from: "Snapper"
No chance! I like to see what's unfolding behind me and these mirrors are excellent for that  :thumb: .
I agree. Standard mirrors with extenders give an excellent view.

Nice bars. :)
I look quick therefore I am.

Offline Snapper

• Ex-V Strom owner
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2015, 22:39:30 »
I'm even considering getting some of those rectangular blind spot mirrors (that people used to use on car door mirrors) to put on them, too  :) . Since all I can see in the inner corners of the mirrors are my elbows  :grin: , I might as well put that space to better use  :shrug: .

ProfG

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2015, 18:47:22 »
This is what you need  :thumb:

Offline Snapper

• Ex-V Strom owner
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2015, 20:57:51 »
Wow! That IS a very comprehensive solution  :) !

I've already ordered some little blind spot mirrors, so I'll see how I get one with those first. Thanks for the suggestion though  :grin: .