Author Topic: Veek Electrical Connectors....AGAIN...  (Read 1084 times)

Offline Roadrocket

• Live to ride, ride to live
  • Bike: Suzuki DL1000AL4ABS + DL650K5
Veek Electrical Connectors....AGAIN...
« on: June 30, 2015, 23:00:56 »
So next week we're heading for our long awaited trip to Austria, but one last thing to do is install a set of R&G Heated grips. Its a tank off job to get to the heated grip connector. After a little routing of the loom for the grips its tank back on and time to fire up the bike.

But. that's as far as I got. The check light was on the dash, hit the start button, engine turns over, but no firing, So I checked clutch switch OK, Side stand switch OK. Kill switch OK , In Neutral OK...Hmmm, When I turn the igntion on there is no fuel pump or any cycling from the throttle servos, but the stater turns the engine - Interlocks working OK.. Shit. I'm leaving in 7 days! Is the fuel pump fooked? Check connections to fuel pump..No change.

So I scratch my head and make a brew. Have a chat with the Mrs..This could be a dealer job. So I decided to remove the tank again, remove the airbox and pull apart every electrical connector. Now some time ago I wrote a post about sleeving the connectors in a rubber innertube. However there were two connectors which are fastened to the air cowl which I couldn't remove. After some leverage I managed to pull the two connectors and split them. They didn't look too bad but there was signs of some slight corrosion. I sprayed the contacts with switch cleaner, then added some grease, sleeved the connectors properly this time in some rubber. Tank Back on and Hello presto, Fuel pump and pre start checks take place.

I must have slightly disturbed one of the connectors when I was feeding the heated grip loom under the airbox...So glad I caught this when I did...

My advice everyone is get the damn connectors pulled apart, cleaned and properly sealed by sleeving them. what's annoyed me is my dealer said they had ACF50 the connectors....BULLSHIT! They didn't. going to be a phone call tomorrow. Thankfully, I know what I'm doing..but If I didn't feel confident and had to go to the dealer, knowing I have a trip planned in seven days...well that would be really pants :(