Author Topic: how is DL650 off-road?  (Read 2029 times)

Offline offnote

how is DL650 off-road?
« on: May 16, 2015, 21:54:59 »
Hi,
I placed order on new v-strom 650 XT and wonder how it's going be off-road .
Didn't have opportunity to take a test ride. The suspension is not the best on paper, how is in real world?
I read it's rather top heavy what concerns me a little bit. My last bike is nc750x
which has very low center of gravity. What is your experience with this bike off-road?
thanks

p.s.
I  know it's not a dirt bike but I like taking heavier bikes ofroad.

Offline mjc506

Re: how is DL650 off-road?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 09:11:52 »
It's tall and heavy, but with the right tyres quite capable. I've followed KTM 250's and the like around the green lanes near here, and although I'm sometimes slower, I get through everything. The main thing to watch is the limited ground clearance. It's quite easy to high centre.
Projects:
DL650 engine rebuild: Complete!
Brighter rear indicators]Complete![/url]
Heated mirrors]Complete![/url]
Cruise control/Speed limiter/V-puter]Pending...[/color]

Offline Kayaker413

• Bike: 2008 650
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 10:34:40 »
Took my 650xt offroad also brand new it was much better than I really expected since my offroad experience is landrovers or mountain biking. I did give the bash plate some work over the rocks but stood up and "riding it out" it was more than capable.

ps- Put a couple of photos up in the introductions bit of the site. Non of the ride in action as I was alone.....

PPS- Make sure you have the correct bash plate as the "pack" Suzuki sent in to the dealer can with the belly pan not bash plate for some reason. Win for me as I now have the bash plate fitted and a belly pan as a spare.
2008 650

Offline mjc506

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 13:01:42 »
Saw your pics, looks like a good run :thumb:
Projects:

Offline neep

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 16:08:36 »
Not amazing, but capable. I took it for a few miles over this road and it wasn't happy about it, but it would be great over smoother muddy terrain I think.  (Photo doesn't do the road justice - needs a 4x4 to drive over).

Kept up with my mates XT fine though.

Offline Ravetech

• Bike: 2015 DL1000
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 15:02:26 »
Quote from: "offnote"
Hi,
I placed order on new V-Strom 650 XT and wonder how it's going be off-road .
Didn't have opportunity to take a test ride. The suspension is not the best on paper, how is in real world?
I read it's rather top heavy what concerns me a little bit. My last bike is nc750x
which has very low centre of gravity. What is your experience with this bike off-road?
thanks

p.s.
I  know it's not a dirt bike but I like taking heavier bikes ofroad.

If your looking for skid plates then we can supply the heavy duty adventure skid plate or our new mini skid plate. For info on these and our other products please check us out on www.ravetechmotorcycles.com

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 19:22:22 »
It's a lumbering beast off road, heavy and hard work. I wouldn't want to have to pick it up either. It's OK on fire track type surfaces though, just not really up to much more.

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 19:48:03 »
Quote from: "Jacko"
It's a lumbering beast off road, heavy and hard work. I wouldn't want to have to pick it up either.
Enough about me, what about the bike?!
In all seriousness there's an article in MCM showing a bloke riding one off road. I confess I thought him crazy but he was singing its praises.
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Offline mjc506

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 09:08:11 »
I wouldn't say lumbering, it does have plenty of power... you do have to pick your lines though, and momentum is both your friend and your enemy!

Firetrack and similar is fine, just let the bike wander a bit. On singletrack, I find it's easier to keep your weight over the front and steer with the back wheel. Lean the bike, not the rider (easier to catch a slide, and less likely to trap yourself underneath if it does go down!)
Projects:

Offline jabmotorsport

• Four Time Quad Bike Champion
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2015, 19:16:01 »
probably a bit better than the Super tenere :)
tinker, tweek, fettle....bodge, bang, bugger!!!

Offline mjc506

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2015, 08:35:38 »
heh, yeah, certainly in the tight stuff. You've got more ground clearance on the STen though I think?

Perhaps 'better' isn't quite the right word... I'd go with 'easier' haha
Projects:

Offline Stromtrooper james

• Bike: DL650 2011 70K+miles DL1000 2017 12k miles
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2015, 10:09:31 »
I have a video of me down a very old unkept road on my youtube channel thing its vlog 6 you can always mute and ignor me talking crap

Offline Sea-Strom

• Bike: DL1050A (2022), Fat Bob (2023), Softail Standard (2023)
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2015, 10:26:12 »
To be fair, adventure bikes were never designed primarily for off road, more ordinary roads that became 'off' as you were exploring. To take it deliberately on to tracks is not my idea of fun but the odd bumpy ride is well within the DL's capabilities. Off road bikes are designed with one purpose in mind, light in weight not being the least of their qualities. Dual purpose bikes are something different. Still, use your baby as you wish - it's your dosh!

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2015, 10:43:29 »
Having taken the strom off tarmac and into the wild I can certainly say you CAN take it onto the dirt. BUT do you need to?
No?
Then don't!

They are far too big and heavy to be of any serious use. Go down the wrong trail and your stuffed.
Never ever ever go anywhere your not 100% certain it's V-strom freindly, and take a few mates just incase you drop it or have to turn it around.
You will need to keep up some momentum to stay up. But then slowing down is then your problem.

Ground clearance is crap and the front forks are too hard with not enough travel.

Drops are expensive

I would not take a good condition Strom down anything more than a bit of gravel path. It just isn't worth the risk.
My bike was high mileage, beaten and abused and worth sod all. So it got taken places V-stroms should not go.

If you want to try offroading go on an enduro/trail experience day or join a local trail riding group (not the TRF A-holes) and look for a 250cc bike like a serrow, wr250 or beta alp 250.

I now have a road and an off road bike. Set a road bike like the strom up to go offroad and it's far too much of a compromise to be of any real use off tarmac.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Kayaker413

• Bike: 2008 650
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2015, 06:59:11 »
What a bunch of fairys!
Pick your line and commit to riding at 15mph and you'll be golden.
No its not a crosser but it is capable of alot more than fire track!
Done some lanes round the peaks which are boulder gardens, Been over the wayfarer in N.Wales, Conwy mountain etc etc.

Yes drop it at speed you will bend something but you will on any bike. Carry some spare leavers and learn to pick a bike up, it's plenty light enough to pick up if you ain't got a glass back.

Tyres are as always key, the standard tyres are crap on mud or grass. Anything rocky they are OK just drop the pressure to 20 ish psi to give you some more bounce foot print.

Lay it down onto the engine bars doesn't do any harm.
2008 650

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2015, 20:14:00 »
For sale: Vstrom, one careful owner.