Author Topic: CHECK YR VALVE STEMS !!!  (Read 2705 times)

Offline baldgiffer53

• Bipolar Explorer
  • Bike: Dl1000, Rockster, Bulet, AJS, Pegaso, Trident, California,
CHECK YR VALVE STEMS !!!
« on: February 16, 2015, 17:54:56 »
At last MOT the (thorough !!) tester pointed out / showed me that BOTH Tyre Valve Stems on my 06 DL1000 were starting to Part Company with the seat (at the "undercut/seam" near the rim).

Having been off the  Strom since due to illness, but looking to hopefully get it on the road again soon, I took another look yesterday to see if I could judge what length of valve I needed, and with very mild leverage on the stem.... it completely came away in my hand !!

I would HIGHLY RECC that all of you check yours out !! Mine may have been originals (who know's as I bought the bike S/H ?) but I am sure I will not be the only person......

Glad I "Missed the Fun" that may have ensued if they had parted company at speed !!

If anyone can point me in the right direction for replacements / advise length I need to buy (not sure if they are specified / measured by Overall Length ?) I sure would appreciate some guidance as my local Tyre Depots don't stock Bike Valves.

Offline bigpie

• Site Donator
  • Bike: DL650
Re: CHECK YR VALVE STEMS !!!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 18:21:38 »
The tyre valves should be changed with the tyres, I've never used anywhere for a tyre that doesn't.

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 18:28:06 »
It's more a case of getting the shortest that wherever you're taking them has rather than trying to get a specific one. I'm with bigpie though - every time the tyre is off, the valve gets replaced.

But then, mine are tubes so  :neen:

But they're £10 a pop instead of free...  :bawl:
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline bigpie

• Site Donator
  • Bike: DL650
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 19:16:15 »
I pay £12 to get old tyre off a loose wheel and disposed of, new valve fitted and the tyre I've taken put on and balanced. Local high volume car tyre place. Not worth the hassle to try myself, got a small bag of unused valves in the garage.

Offline V-Strom3

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 20:57:22 »
I got myself some of these, http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorcycle/accessories/bridgeport-tyre-valves even my mate across the road got the 2 spare ones I had when he got a puncture.
Never need to replace and brilliant for when checking pressure or even adding pressure a petrol stations - none of this fighting with the hose up past the inside of the disc.
These might not be the right size just check before ordering.
Life is short - You have to enjoy it on a Wee-Strom!

Offline iansoady

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 12:32:57 »
I had the same experience last year and have to confess it's not something I'd ever looked at. The replacements are longer than the originals but still short enough to get a pressure gauge / pump connector on.
Ian.
2005 DL650
1931 Sunbeam Model 10

Offline endintears

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 16:29:34 »
CHECK YR VALVE STEMS!!!
What a good post.  :thumb:

Offline ricky66

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 23:20:56 »
Yep, had my rear let go last year 3/4 the way through a 5000km trip, deflated rear tyre (obviously) and punched out an internal plug.
Had to ride it flat at freeway speeds for about 10 kilometres because of location, connecting ferries etc and goosed the tyre which bulged out at the sidewalls.  Luckily the stars aligned, I found a replacement valve and workshop in a tiny little Tasmanian country town.  
Had to replace the tyre though before I set off for home about 1500 kilometres away, which meant I paid more for a brand of tyre I needed, but wasn't my first preference.
Moral = change them every time you change tyres, or, get the solid alloy types and change the seals every few years.
P.S Don't leave right angle valve extensions on the valve stems as these can also accelerate the demise of rubber valve stems.
Cheers, Ricky

Offline Hugo Magnus

• Ride Coordinator
  • Bike: DL650A L3, DR-Z400s Multistrada 1260ST
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 08:55:54 »
Hi Ricky   :welcome:  Please introduce yourself in 'introductions'
The interruptions ARE the journey  (Ted Simon)

Ride Coordinator