Author Topic: V-Strom DL1000 overated and overpriced?  (Read 14777 times)

Offline Roadrocket

• Live to ride, ride to live
  • Bike: Suzuki DL1000AL4ABS + DL650K5
Re: V-Strom DL1000 overated and overpriced?
« Reply #80 on: November 03, 2014, 09:30:54 »
Personally haven't had a problem, besides I follow the speed on my GPS not the Speedo!

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #81 on: November 03, 2014, 13:22:20 »
I know I should have just ignored it but I can't help myself so apologies in advance if I upset anyone.

Why would you upset anyone?

Isn't that (your post in its entirety) a contradiction? Positive comments by actual owners are being dismissed.

Absolutely not! In fact, after my test ride I posted positive feedback on the engine, gearbox & handling  :shrug:

Many actual owners who have many miles on them under their belts haven't had any issues but in saying so are accused of being deaf, dumb and blind to the issues they should apparently have experienced.

The deaf, dumb and blind post was aimed squarely at Ziggy who refuses to acknowledge the fueling related issue. Whether this is affects a small quantity or not (we can't know that as all owners of the new DL1000 aren't here).

Although not ideal, it is common for a new product to initially have some issues. That doesn't mean to say it should always have those issues

We agree, read my post again "Based on the amount of posts here and elsewhere it is obvious the new bike DOES have a fueling related issue, the fact that it doesn't affect all bikes is probably more of a worry than if it was common to all. That doesn't make it a bad bike, it makes it a new bike that needs some bugs ironing out"

Are later buyers of the new DL1000 still experiencing the same issues some early buyers had or has it been addressed? Again, I don't know and am asking but if it has been resolved is it fair to keep bashing the bike for an issue that doesn't exist?

There are still posts popping up on various forums so I'm guessing there is still an issue. This is why it's important that people keep posting their problems/fixes. NOBODY is bashing the bike because of teething problems, my criticism has always been Price & Quality.

Thank god we are all different. I have ridden many bikes I didn't like but which had a good following. But then I never felt the need to proclaim my dislike to the world.

But this is a V-Strom forum, I can't think of a more relevant place for the OP to make his point  :shrug:

(AFAICR) I have had 5 new DL1000's come through here this summer and most had done or were doing significant mileage in a short space of time. Without exception all were very happy with their bike.

That's good to hear, let's hope that the vast majority are the same.

I formed my own opinions on a bike but wouldn't push them on someone else as gospel.

I don't see anyone doing that here, people are free to express their opinions, whether that be an owner who has done a 100k miles or someone who has walked by a showroom window.

...... and now I am being boring but as I have said before reading through these forums they do come across as there being a desire in some quarters to dislike the bike regardless and that reduces the value in some of what is written in my eyes

This has been answered a few times and is still as ridiculous. There are some (like me) who were really looking forward to the new DL1000, I had money burning a hole. What was produced in the 2014 model annoyed me, the quality, in my opinion, was so poor in some areas that it put me off the bike completely. That is my experience and my disappointment, other people will have different views and different expectations, we are all (thankfully) different.

That is the beauty of using many sources for information and in my book a first hand account takes a lot of beating. Many might not agree but it is an opinion I choose to share for what it is worth

We agree again, so once again I encourage owners to not make ridiculous statements like 'there are no issues' and get involved in meaningful conversations about the teething problem the bike has  (yes like many new bikes have), even if their own bike isn't affected.
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline bosnjo

• Bike: DL1000 L7
« Reply #82 on: November 03, 2014, 15:45:06 »
Just to throw in my 2c:
Yes, there is fueling problem on low revs, or I'd rather call it accelerator problem. It's a bit on/off and it makes it difficult on manouvering at low speeds.
2000 km since purchased new, I fell much less of this problem, but not because accelerator got better. It's because I adjusted my riding to the bike, the bike will never adjust itself to my riding.
So, after 2000 I almost don't have this problem anymore as I slip my clutch much more now then I did on my Glee.  But yes, I'd love to solve it for good. (slack adjustet already, all TC settings tested.. all known adjustments tried...)
DL1000 2017 white
DL1000 2014 red (sold)
DL650 2012 white (sold)

Offline ziggy

• Bike: DL1000 L4, Vespa 300 GTV
« Reply #83 on: November 03, 2014, 15:51:06 »
The following posted by Fat Rat

The deaf, dumb and blind post was aimed squarely at Ziggy who refuses to acknowledge the fueling related issue. Whether this is affects a small quantity or not (we can't know that as all owners of the new DL1000 aren't here).

Why do I refuse to acknowledge that there is a problem? That is simple there is not a problem. If a owner has a problem take it back and get it sorted not post often rubbish on a web site about it. Just give it back to the dealer and do not except it back unless its fixed. There may be the odd lemon about for this reason take it back and if they cannot get it right to the owners satisfaction refuse that bike back or insist on a refund. Simples.

To hear of some bikes being messed about with rolling roads is asking for trouble re warranty etc in my opinion, let the dealer put it on a rolling road if they feel it necessary.

I know of another two owners and these both speak highly of their bikes.

I will say I sometimes wonder if some new owners who have not owned big V twins before think they run and ride like a 4 cylinder machine. Wrong.

This is now my last word on this subject. I will enjoy my bike in peace.

:)
Do it today as there may not be a tomorrow.

Live in Rothley, Leicestershire.

Offline Firestorm

« Reply #84 on: November 03, 2014, 16:28:17 »
I still want one  :grin:

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
« Reply #85 on: November 03, 2014, 16:37:30 »
Ali,

You seem to have an uncanny knack of writing lots of words but not actually saying very much.

If you are simply looking for an argument I'm sure there are forums that thrive on that, but it's not here.

My posts are clear, I write in English. read them. I don't mind very much if you like the content or not.

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Offline Blade

« Reply #86 on: November 03, 2014, 17:15:59 »
Quote from: "UK_Vstrom650"
Does anyone find the wires from accessory socket to above dash satnav gets in the way of the clocks? Can't understand why it wasn't offset  rather than in the middle?  Good to know about amp rating BTW as wouldn't have occurred to me. Guessing wiring won't allow uprated fuse?
Will it take a 5 amp fuse or will it dissolve the loom?
If you think you can, or you think you can't, either way; you're right.

Offline bigpie

• Site Donator
  • Bike: DL650
V-Strom DL1000 overated and overpriced?
« Reply #87 on: November 03, 2014, 17:28:51 »
I wouldn't risk it. If it couldn't handle 5 amps I'm sure they'd have put a 5 amp in there. Rewire with thicker wire or fit a secondary socket else where. I'd go with having another, less hassle. I like having one under the seat so I can lock a phone in there charging.

Offline Timmo

« Reply #88 on: November 03, 2014, 17:58:51 »
I wish those that have had issues especially fueling would come back and tell us what they did to resolve them. If there are some lemons out there surely they have been fixed by now. I would have thought the frame chaffing through the wiring harness on the Glee would have been unforgiveable but it seems the Veek gets a lot more stick for minor fixes.

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
« Reply #89 on: November 03, 2014, 19:21:15 »
I don't mind what you do, although, doing it quietly would be appreciated.