Author Topic: Throttle Body Play  (Read 603 times)

Offline Descolada

Throttle Body Play
« on: October 08, 2014, 17:52:17 »
I am aware that my throttle grip seems to have a bit of play in it and I should probably reduce the play.

Is this a simple enough process and how do you ensure that you  don't 'unbalance' the cables (by making one slightly longer than the other during the adjustment?

Any advice gratefully accepted.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
Re: Throttle Body Play
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 21:06:52 »
there should be a little play in the throttle tube.
I've taken to having a bit more than the manual states as I'm used to ridding my Super Sherpa that's set up for offroad with loads of free play on the throttle tube.
You don't want zero play as the slightest movement of the hand, say going over a small bump will have the bike lurching all over the place.
Fuel injection systems likes smooth motions and a bit of slack to take up with the cables other wise you end up with a fuel On/Off switch not a throttle.

The info for adjusting the throttle cable in in the owners manual in the INSPECTION AND MAINTENANCE section. Section 7 in my K6 Manual. (procedure will be the same for all models)
Here- Page 79 http://www.v-strom.co.uk/downloads/DL650AK9OwnersManual.pdf

(thread title says throttle Body Play- that's a whole different part of the bike and if you have play there you have big problems!)

Ride Coordinator

Offline Descolada

Re: Throttle Body Play
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 21:36:22 »
Point taken - "throttle tube". Thanks for the advice.