Author Topic: Need help to solve problem  (Read 776 times)

Offline mct25

Need help to solve problem
« on: September 30, 2014, 20:43:30 »
My 2003 1000 with 47,000 miles has started to pinker or give small back fire types of stutters that can cause it to cut out. It has been serviced and well cared for all its life never gave any trouble I have it 5 years and I knew the previous owner. My mechanic says that it could be throttle heads or bad fuel. I don't know and he really doesn't know either any suggestions please.

Offline Sam

Re: Need help to solve problem
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 16:49:50 »
Check the rubber boots on the throttle bodies. They have a habit of popping off & causing the type of symptoms you have. Some people wire them on to stop it happening again. Have a search & you'll find posts with pics showing it.

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
Re: Need help to solve problem
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 17:29:22 »
As Sam says there, could be a few things, with the throttle body boots coming adrift a 'favourite' occurrence. Just to repeat what Sam said again (!) have a good search by using the search box near the top of the page...just enter a few relevant terms eg 'backfiring' 'misfiring' etc and you'll find some possibilities for your mechanic to ponder over. Let us know. :thumb:
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi