Author Topic: Changing bike  (Read 1050 times)

Offline cpjs

Changing bike
« on: November 09, 2014, 12:09:44 »
After 5 happy years and 25,000 mls on the Wee it's time for a change.
The same year I bought the Wee two of my friends bought gs1200's. The little strom would match the performance of the BM's, through the gears or side by side top gear roll-on , even when we were two up it still did it, Brilliant little bike. That's a GPR system and an ignition advancer for you.
Then they both went and bought the new water cooled ones, Oh dear.
Being shallow and egotistical it was too much. My much used saying of it's more fun riding a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow sounded a bite lame as they disappeared into the distance, I couldn't stand it.
I have bought a factory lowered gs1200. It's Suzuki's fault, I wanted to have one of the new thousands but it is too high for me, I know you can lower it but then you suffer ground clearance issues, it's not a problem on the gs.
The lowered gs is about 1 1/4" lower than the Wee and about 2" lower than the Veek.
I got a killer of a deal and couldn't say no. Two month, old 900mls  with full luggage looking  like new from a dealer for £11,700.
I would have preferred the KTM ADV, too tall, or the Caponord, Italian!
The real clincher, the wife says it is the most comfy bike we have ridden.
I will keep lurking around as I have a soft spot for the Wee as it has been good to me and never missed a beat.
You never know I may go round fill circle and end up here again.
Too young to be in care, too old to remember why.

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
Re: Changing bike
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 12:12:12 »
Full Circle ! - You will, see you again in 12-18 months  :)
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
Changing bike
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 12:12:19 »
I am sorry for your loss.

Offline S2Rgar

• Bike: DL1000 L9 Black - DL650 AL5 Red (SOLD) - DL650 AL3 Grey (SOLD) Suzuki GSX-S1000
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 13:48:10 »
Good luck cpjs ..... and I don't mean with the new bike (you've a more than 50% chance of that happening anyway). I mean with the UKGSER forum if you ever feel the need to participate. It's a wicked place to air your thoughts and views. Pop back here to the friendly forum anytime.  :thumb:

Offline cpjs

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 14:28:52 »
S2Rgar,
Yup, already with UKGSER.
The various Vstrom forums seem to be the most grown up and the least insular of any I have been on and for tech info VSRI is unrivalled with people like Greywolf giving bullshit free advice that you can pretty much take as gospel. I have yet to find that elsewhere.

Offline Timmo

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 20:25:26 »
Cpjs, was that 2 inches lower than the lowest seat on the Veek and didn't the narrowness make up for height next to the Gs ?

Offline cpjs

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 08:10:15 »
Yes low seat position on the Veek ( Low seat is actually worse) .I was on tip toes, and I mean tip toes.
Low seat in low position on the GS and I can paddle the bike back out of the driveway and down the curb without falling off, not something I could do on the WEE.

Offline Timmo

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 10:32:24 »
Thanks for that I never would have guessed,the Gs looks a lump but I might give one a test ride now.

Offline cpjs

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 13:16:10 »
Timmo
It's all about the amount of foot on the ground.
this year I rode a 370kg Harley around California it was the easiest bike to move around I have ever sat on because I could flat foot it.
The GS is 238 kg ready to roll and I have no probs moving it around, I feel safer moving it than the Wee even with the Doris on the back. I am 5'6"  11.5 stone.