Author Topic: TRE  (Read 990 times)

Offline kissofdeath

• Bike: Veek
TRE
« on: September 09, 2014, 20:12:04 »
OK so fitted it this morning,no problems...I think. now though the red light is on constantly and if flashes between fi and clock constantly. is this normal ? :shrug:

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
Re: TRE
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 20:37:40 »
No it's not. Clearly something is not right. Suggest you firstly check that it's fitted into the wiring loom in the right place- the correct connector is just below the rear of the petrol tank and then that it is correctly and firmly pushed into the appropriate plugs. If the dash continues to flash Fi then take it out, plug the original plugs back together and see if everything returns to normal. Double check that you are fitting it in the right place and try again. If the error re-appears then it points to a faulty TRE. The only change on the dash when the TRE is working correctly is that O/D display no longer appears in top gear as the ECU thinks you're always 4th or 5th.

Offline kissofdeath

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 21:08:55 »
cheers m8, as far as I could see there were only 2 connectors there that it could conect to and 1 of them was the fuel tank. hmm more investigating to be done :bawl:

Offline kissofdeath

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 00:43:57 »
WELL... that's bloody weird, had the flashing fi on my way to work but just started it up to swap areas and all seems to be fine. looks like its a trip to the stealers to get the history read  :angry-tappingfoot:  :bawl:

Offline kissofdeath

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 00:38:21 »
got the error again tonight but I was ready for it, got C31 which is gear position sensor.
would/could that be caused by fitting the TRE  :shrug:

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 07:48:28 »
I would say it is the TRE. They work by telling the ecu that you are always in 4th gear. There is a pink signal wire that goes into the ecu that comes from the gear pos sensor. The voltage reading changes on that wire based on which gear you are in. The TRE keeps the voltage on that wire the same as the voltage output that 4th gear gives. Try checking the terminals, as a duff connection could give a wrong voltage output, meaning the ecu can't decide what gear it's in and it throws up an error. At least that's where I'd start! Good luck :)
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Offline bigpie

• Site Donator
  • Bike: DL650
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 08:58:26 »
Check the TRE connection, as Tall says, they sit on the pink wire to tell the ECU the bike is always in 4th, some also let through the neutral voltage from what I have read.

If you are getting intermittent errors with the gear position sensor then your TRE might have a loose connection, either in the connectors or one the internal components, which looks like it can range from a single resistor or a couple of resistors and a transistor.

If it was fine before, try remove the TRE and if it is fine again, put it back in, if the problem is still there, return it.

Offline kissofdeath

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 17:55:11 »
I've taken it off to see if it comes back