Author Topic: Methods of restriction to the A2 licence  (Read 1616 times)

Offline Endurance

Methods of restriction to the A2 licence
« on: August 30, 2014, 21:58:16 »
Hi All! First post (I know I should of hit the introduction board first but I don't have the bike yet; that's to come!)

Due to take delivery of a 2011 V-Strom in the next few days and have one major hurdle to overcome, which is how to restrict the damned thing down to 47bhp! Ideally I'm looking to get an ECU that limits the bike down to the restriction; however even after being told they exist by a Suzuki dealership they then began to deny existance of them? (Review of CMW Motorcycles in Chichester to come shortly)

From some searching of the forums I'm still inconclusive on what I've found, can anyone clear up the methods of restriction presented for me for me? I'm keen to find out what the best method (for me and the bikes health!) is.

So far I've got:

ECU Restriction - 33Bhp ECU's are about however a 47bhp ECU seems to be some mythical object. Alternatively take the bike to a tuning shop and have them de-power it.
Mechanical Restriction - These kits appear to be extortionate at £100-200 a pop but do the business. They also manage to bump up their prices with B/S Certificates of restriction.

Other then that, look forward to getting more stuck in with the forums in the future!

:text-imnewhere:

Offline SausagesDad

Re: Methods of restriction to the A2 licence
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 01:40:20 »
Welcome. Can't help with your question but I am sure others here can.

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 11:17:48 »
The 33 restriction really isn't that bad and they are going cheap now. It only really loses puff at the top end and if you start on the 33 you won't know what you're missing at all by not having the 47 restriction. I'd imagine that if you could get hold of a 47 restricted ECU then it's going to be extortionately expensive. Give the 33 kit a go.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline james.t

• Bike: DL250
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 16:05:25 »
hi I've got a 33hp ecu restricter came out of my 2010 wee.
when I changed it for the unrestricted one there was not much diffidence so was keeping it for emergences.
but if you want to buy/hire it pm me
j