Author Topic: Traction Control - Experience and mode setting  (Read 3983 times)

Offline Roadrocket

• Live to ride, ride to live
  • Bike: Suzuki DL1000AL4ABS + DL650K5
Traction Control - Experience and mode setting
« on: October 05, 2014, 21:07:47 »
Hi Folks, question for V2 owners really what mode do you blokes run on?

My V2 now has 1800 miles on the clock and the engine is feeling positive. Its sounding better too. Today I turned off the Traction Control and went for a 100 mile ride around some popular biking roads around my neck of the woods. The engine sounded more throater and certainly keener on the acceleration. Usually I ride in mode 1 and when its hoofing it down will go into mode 2 (pretty much as the manual recommends). But when the Tarmac is dry, TC off feels great :)

Has anybody noticed the TC kick in and do any of you run with it off?

Cheers

:thumb:

Offline SimonW

• Bike: DL1050XT
Re: Traction Control - Experience and mode setting
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 21:38:22 »
I ride with it set to 1 all the time and have never noticed it kick in. I did try riding with it off but the red light on the dash was just too annoying!

Offline bosnjo

• Bike: DL1000 L7
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 22:52:52 »
For first 500 miles had mine on setting 1. Then, just out of fun tried setting 2. Noticed engine way less jerky on low revs on 2, which is exactly oposite of what others experienced. Tried 1 again, more jerky. Then 2 and much less jerky. Don't ask, I have no idea why my bike is different then others.
And yes, had TC light on quite a few times always on dry tarmac and accelerating on straight line. I don't know if the bike was cutting the power down to avoid wheely or to avoid rear to start sliding, as I was pretty agressive on those ocasions.
DL1000 2017 white
DL1000 2014 red (sold)
DL650 2012 white (sold)

Offline wunwinglow

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 07:00:56 »
I've tried mine on all settings, mainly to try and improve the low revs issues I am still getting sometimes, but not noticed any real difference one way or another. The only time I've seen the red light on in anger was while riding on some very freshly laid black top a few days ago, which didn't have much grip at all! Otherwise, the handling, the grip, the tyres, the brakes are all really, really good, and inspire great confidence in the bike. I really am impressed and the more I ride it, the better I like it.

Apart from this dreadful low rev  nonsense, which is still there I'm sorry to say. Will have another go at sorting it when I get back to the UK, but I am getting really cheesed off with it now!

Offline Roadrocket

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 22:59:47 »
Thanks for the replies. Fingers crossed you get the low rev issue sorted wunwinglow . Clearly sounds like an electronic signal fault or slight error with a sensor position

Offline ziggy

• Bike: DL1000 L4, Vespa 300 GTV
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 10:53:23 »
I have now covered 13,000 miles and have done extensive testing of the TC settings. I will admit that I have not seen the traction control light on but that is how I ride.
Early on there were reports by members that the bike ran smoother if you selected setting 1. I did this and it did seem smoother, then I was advised that if you turned off the traction control it was even better.

Well as I see it there is no difference in the running of the motor (smoothness) in any of the settings, its all in the mind.

I have done literally 100's of miles in each of the settings including the off setting and there is no difference in my opinion so I just leave it in number 2 as I don't want any wheel spin at all.

I cannot see how a device that alters the engine mapping if wheel spin occurs can have an influence in the smoothness of the engine when the traction control is doing nothing.

:)
Do it today as there may not be a tomorrow.

Live in Rothley, Leicestershire.

Offline fear_factory84

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 06:17:53 »
I ride usually on setting 2 and it kicked in only when for anger I open up throttle a lot at low gears.
Yesterday I was on a hill.. if I had no TC I would ride it on one wheel.
I hate perhaps those hiccups when TC kicks in.

Offline SimonW

• Bike: DL1050XT
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 09:21:15 »
Always ride on 1.

Offline Roadrocket

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 22:13:20 »
Noticed a slight change in engine tone between 1 and 2 today when accelerating hard. I've been riding in mainly mode 1 but in wooded areas with fallen leaves and pine needles on smooth tarmac I pop into mode 2. But as of yet it hasn't activated, credit to the bikes handling

Offline Tim

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 19:54:54 »
I find in the dry on tight twisty roads in setting 2 the traction control is kicking in all the time in the first 3 gears. In setting 1 it kicks in noticeably less.

Tim

Offline Roadrocket

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 21:18:58 »
Interesting Tim, perhaps I'm riding a little steadier than yourself!