Author Topic: oxygen sensor fault  (Read 3697 times)

Offline cowdenc

oxygen sensor fault
« on: August 13, 2014, 06:36:55 »
hello there,
my first thread but I will indeed introduce myself in the right section of the forum, glad to finally find some experienced who would answer my 'many" answers.

I bought this week end a 2002 vstrom DL1000, run sweet but I have to replace some parts, and make the usual maintenance. (air filter, oil change...etc)

well, the point is that I have that FI light ON, the previous owner said to me "don't worry its your exaust sensor that is not plug in'.... actually the bike has a newer ECU than the stock one, and also don't have this one probe.
 -- I can provide any serial number if you all wants to identify the version/model of my ECU.

then, after some research on the internet, I found an Oxygen o2 sensor eliminator on ebay, somewhat cheap... bought it on the go ! (this and other parts of course ^^)

well the question is :
where do I put it (sensor eliminator) since the bike had no wire for it .... doest it fit directly in the ECU or somewhere around ?

let me know !

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
Re: oxygen sensor fault
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 09:34:18 »
Hi and welcome to the forum - I don't have an answer for you, exactly, but you might get something by trying a search here. I tried 'Eliminator' as a search term and for example, found this :

viewtopic.php?f=58&t=21472&p=201746&hilit=eliminator#p201746

which may have some relevance for you :shrug:
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 13:52:09 »
Quote from: "Gassoon"
Hi and welcome to the forum - I don't have an answer for you, exactly, but you might get something by trying a search here. I tried 'Eliminator' as a search term and for example, found this :

viewtopic.php?f=58&t=21472&p=201746&hilit=eliminator#p201746

which may have some relevance for you :shrug:

The link should help you, but before that it would be wise to find out exactly what is causing the FI error. You will need to put the bike into "dealer mode", find the actual error code, check it is the O2 sensor and take it from there. This may help http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,7061.0.html

When I wanted to disable the O2 sensor on my 1000, I couldn't get a plug in one anywhere on Ebay. They were all for the 650 which is different.

Offline cowdenc

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 00:03:49 »
You will need to put the bike into "dealer mode", find the actual error code
-- it is planned, I've gathered all the FI codes in a board, and watched a video on how to enter the bike in this mode.

When I wanted to disable the O2 sensor on my 1000, I couldn't get a plug in one anywhere on Ebay. They were all for the 650 which is different.
-- crap dats the one I bought.

btw if you still have your DL1000, can you tell where this sensor should be ?
with a picture maybe if you have time...

I have also bought the PAIR system eliminator, that -if I understand correct- actually suck air to the exaust to help burn fuel... you had this modification yet ?

-- other question :
is this possible to modify myself (with a computer and a usb cable maybe) the ECU ?  to disable the O2 sensor (in case the plug I bought for the O2 isn't compatible or the wire/probe is missing)

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 22:40:25 »
Check the link in my signature to my restoration thread. There is a few pictures and such regarding the PAIR system removal. It's from a DL650, but the principal will be similar on the DL1000. It's a fairly simple procedure of removing some pipes and blocking some holes.

As for the oxygen sensor on the DL1000, just follow the exhaust pipes from the cylinder head to the mufflers. There'll be a threaded bung welded in somewhere, the sensor screws in there. If the FI warning is indeed for the O2 sensor and the sensor has been removed, here is a way to disable the signal to the ECU so that the FI warning isn't shown. The old DL1000 had two different ECUs and the procedure is different for each. There are some threads about PowerCommander 3 installation that you can search for to get the details on how to disable the O2 FI warning for your particular ECU used in your old Vee. If the O2 sensor has been removed it would be good to know why, the only good reason would be if it has a PowerCommander on with a custom map. The O2 sensor would mess with the map. If it doesn't have a PowerCommander it should really have an O2 sensor and picking one up 2nd hand would be the cheap option.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline cowdenc

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 07:47:16 »
Quote from: "Juvecu"
Check the link in my signature to my restoration thread.
--I'm on it fecking great and pictures are killing my slow internet conexion hahaha

As for the oxygen sensor on the DL1000, just follow the exhaust pipes from the cylinder head to the mufflers. There'll be a threaded bung welded in somewhere, the sensor screws in there.
-- nothing... and nothing :(

If the FI warning is indeed for the O2 sensor and the sensor has been removed, here is a way to disable the signal to the ECU so that the FI warning isn't shown.
-- dats wat I look for, an ECU diagram would help me so much.

The old DL1000 had two different ECUs and the procedure is different for each. There are some threads about PowerCommander 3 installation that you can search for to get the details on how to disable the O2 FI warning for your particular ECU used in your old Vee.
-- I found this one, cheaper, is that anygood ? : http://www.solomotoparts.com/HealTech-FI-Tuner-Pro-Fuel-Injection-Controller-for-DL1000-V-Strom-02-10/

Offline Yoyo

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 08:53:18 »
If you go on the power commander Web site it had instructions for fitting PC3's to all bikes, it will show you how to turn the Fi light off but as already said you need to know why it's been done and if it is that that's causing the problem.

Offline mjc506

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 09:25:27 »
If there's no threaded connection, are they the stock exhausts? (That'd be another reason for the sensor being removed)
Projects:
DL650 engine rebuild: Complete!
Brighter rear indicators]Complete![/url]
Heated mirrors]Complete![/url]
Cruise control/Speed limiter/V-puter]Pending...[/color]

Offline cowdenc

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 09:51:41 »
If you go on the power commander Web site it had instructions for fitting PC3's to all bikes, it will show you how to turn the Fi light off but as already said you need to know why it's been done and if it is that that's causing the problem.
you I don't want all FI errors off, I just want the O2 to be shut also I'm not going to PC3 its too expensive for me.

If there's no threaded connection, are they the stock exhausts? (That'd be another reason for the sensor being removed)
--yep all stock from pipes to silencer, aaandd no probe

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 12:38:39 »
It sounds like there simply isn't one which is a bit odd. I know that US models do not have the heated O2 sensor in the exhaust so perhaps you have an exhaust from an US bike with the ECU from an EU bike? You did mention the bike has a different ECU than the stock one.

In this case I think it's best to:
- put it in dealer mode and make sure the only FI warning is one for the O2 sensor
- identify which ECU you have
- disable the FI warning for the O2 sensor in the appropriate manner for the specific ECU (this usually just means disconnecting a pin on the ECU, but you have to be accurate.)

With the O2 sensor not giving input the ECU will simply use a default normal value. It means when the weather changes to being cold or warm the ECU can't compensate accordingly, but it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

ps. Stay away from the 'fuel injection tuner' stuff like that Healtech thing, they simply alter fueling to be more/less by fooling the ECU into thinking the O2 sensor is giving a different reading.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)

Offline cowdenc

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2014, 23:59:55 »
ps. Stay away from the 'fuel injection tuner' stuff like that Healtech thing, they simply alter fueling to be more/less by fooling the ECU into thinking the O2 sensor is giving a different reading.
--what do you advice then to eliminate all the cough'cough in low rpms ?

btw after some times browsing along the internet I feel like more confident about my bike and doing stuff on it; reading, documenting myself, learning in everyways. best invention ever.

Offline cowdenc

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2014, 15:32:08 »
I encountered something really "weird"; this night was somewhat cold, really fresh air... I started the engine, and hoooo miracle NO more F1 light..... I rode for a few mins, still nothing.... :shrug:

in the way to my friend, cranked a bite... the light came back.... what the hell ?
I really do have to make the maintenance on my bike lol ... its possessed hahhaha ;)

also looked at the fuel filter replacement link on the forum... a bit extrem to me. I'd pass on it.

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2014, 17:29:37 »
A few things come to mind. First thing is to get the bike thoroughly serviced, especially the things that can have an influence on how the bike runs, valves clearances, plugs, air filter, throttle valves etc. etc. Next job is to check what is causing the FI error. If it is the O2 sensor then you either fit one and reconnect the plugs or if you cannot fit one then disable it by unplugging the appropriate ECU pin. If not the O2 sensor then you need to fix that before proceeding. If you disconnect and disable the PAIR valves this again will need properly disabling as far as the ECU is concerned. If at this point the bike is not running well then you can either fit a Power Commander or find someone with a Yoshi box or similar and adjust the fuelling with that. Both will need setting up properly on a dyno to get the bike running at its best. There are several "tuning boxes" floating about on the Internet. As has been said best avoid them as these just mess with the fuelling by interfering with ECU signals.

Offline cowdenc

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2014, 04:53:27 »
Quote from: "hookie"
A few things come to mind. First thing is to get the bike thoroughly serviced, especially the things that can have an influence on how the bike runs, valves clearances, plugs, air filter, throttle valves etc. etc.
--full servicing by a garage is out of my wallet right now; but good point I'm looking for a product combined with fuel that can clean all theses important parts

Next job is to check what is causing the FI error. If it is the O2 sensor then you either fit one and reconnect the plugs or if you cannot fit one then disable it by unplugging the appropriate ECU pin. If not the O2 sensor then you need to fix that before proceeding.
-- pin 23 is apparently the one I need to cut.... refering to http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php?topic=324.0 I also find this diagram for K3/K4 ECUs

If you disconnect and disable the PAIR valves this again will need properly disabling as far as the ECU is concerned.
-- this package I bought looks to have the complete set to fool the ECM http://www.ebay.com/itm/251310488638?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

There are several "tuning boxes" floating about on the Internet. As has been said best avoid them as these just mess with the fuelling by interfering with ECU signals.
-- alright sir ! I won't buy it !

Offline hookie

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2014, 08:57:53 »
There appear to be at least two wiring layouts used on the later 32 bit ECU that uses two plugs (one small and one large).The sheet from Dynojet says to disconnect pin 17 with the black with brown tracer. This did not tally with my bike (2007 DL1000) at all. It didn’t even have a black/brown wire at all. After much rummaging on the internet and speaking with a Dynojet installer it turned out that I needed to disconnect pin 11, the black with white tracer in the small ECU plug, which did the trick. Whether this is correct for you bike I cannot guarantee.

You don't need to cut the O2 wire (when you've successfully located it!). There is a removable front cover surrounding the ECU pins on the small plug. Remove it and using a very small screwdriver you can press the little tangs on the pin and then push it out and tape it up securely. You can the easily put it back at some future date if needed.

Not wishing to further confuse things, fitting a Timing Retard Eliminator (TRE) may well help low end running on your bike. A lot of people have found it helps. They can sometimes be picked up for just a few quid on Ebay.

Hope this all helps. Best of luck....

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2014, 09:53:26 »
Before you do anything, get into dealer mode to see the FI codes. The fact that it disappeared for a while could mean it's not O2 sensor related. Tell us the codes and we can help you, without them are all guessing.

I think it's worth emphasising that you shouldn't cut the wire, but rather remove the pin so you can put it back in if it's the wrong one. There's been a few threads on here in the past with people "disabling" the O2 sensor and then it doesn't work because the pin they removed was the wrong one (misinformation from Dynojet.)

The PAIR eliminator kit looks like it's the right thing. I removed the reed valves and pipes, but left the PAIR valve on the airbox in place. I simply bought some silicone plugs and plugged the places where the hoses connected to at the airbox valve and the cam covers. no need for an eliminator and it works a charm.

I wouldn't bother with a fuel additive, just put in a new oil an air filter, fresh oil, a new set of plugs to start with. Get a manometer somewhere, beg/borrow/steal, and balance the throttle bodies. Make sure the throttle position sensor (TPS) is set properly and while you're in there, wire the rubber throttle bodies boots so they can't come off by themselves (known issue.) All the info on how to do these are on the forum and there are plenty of people around that can help with advice as you go along. Take it easy and be methodical and you can't really get much wrong, these bikes are easy to work on. You'll learn a lot about your Vee and you'll save a lot in future servicing costs if you learn how to do it right now.

Valve clearance are a more advanced subject, might want to get someone that know what they are doing to show you how to do it as you go along. Clearances on the Vee are easier to do than on the Wee as the cams are gear driven rather than direct chain driven.

The rough running is fuel map related, the bike is leaned out around 4k RPM to pass emission regulations. A dyno session with a Yoshi box to tune the ECU is what's needed to sort it, BUT, as hookie says, you should sort out everything else first.

Offline cowdenc

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2014, 23:21:11 »
Not wishing to further confuse things, fitting a Timing Retard Eliminator (TRE) may well help low end running on your bike. A lot of people have found it helps. They can sometimes be picked up for just a few quid on Ebay.
--okayyy !!!! how this one looks to you ? a bit expensive ? http://www.ebay.com/itm/280668187242?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Make sure the throttle position sensor (TPS) is set properly and while you're in there, wire the rubber throttle bodies boots so they can't come off by themselves (known issue.)
-- I add it right now to my check list ! thanks !

I just now waiting for my parts to get there.... 2/3 weeks =/

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2014, 23:22:47 »
That TRE looks overly expensive, you should be able to find something cheaper.

Offline cowdenc