Author Topic: gear change issue  (Read 6088 times)

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
Re: gear change issue
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2014, 15:02:40 »
I can usually tell when the oil is starting to get to the low end or if the next oil change is nearing. It's much easier to tell with semi synth oil than with the synthetic stuff. With synth you only really notice if you let the oil get too low.

If you ride less than you probably won't notice if things changes over time.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline gixerpaul

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2014, 22:10:24 »
Right I'm getting really annoyed with this 1st/2nd gear issue. I warmed the engine up well and drained every drop of oil and replaced with a new filter.
Still have grinding when trying to select 1st/2nd from neutral.
I can see it costing me an arm and leg in a bike shop.

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2014, 22:12:33 »
Too bad you're not close, I'd have offered to have a look at it to make sure it's not something simple that's you've missed. You're 100% sure the clutch disengages properly?
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)

Offline gixerpaul

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2014, 23:10:58 »
I'm 95% sure its disengaging.  Seems smooth in other gears. Could actuator be too warn to operate corectly , there's a reasonable amount of side play in the centre of the mechanism.  Maybe warped plates. Only affects 1st and 2nd though.

Offline Retraite

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2014, 08:01:40 »
Just a thought but have you tried waiting a second or three after pulling in the clutch lever before you try to engage a gear.

Works for me, especially stationary selecting 1st.
"Autocorrect is my greatest enema."

Offline gixerpaul

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2014, 16:57:51 »
No, waiting a few seconds is just as bad. Just readjusted clutch again at both ends. Even if I adjust the clutch to slip drastically so it won't pull away it still grinds finding 1st and 2nd. tried both ends of the spectrum, same out come.

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2014, 17:06:01 »
Maybe a daft question, the tickover (idle speed) isn't too high is it?
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline gixerpaul

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2014, 19:36:08 »
Between 1100 and 1300 I would say at a guess!

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2014, 19:52:45 »
Off the top of my head it should be around 1300 so the idle speed sounds fine.

If you've set the clutch to slip then it doesn't seem like it's related to the clutch dragging.

Offline gixerpaul

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2014, 21:46:00 »
Yes I was thinking how can it be the clutch if I've set it to slip so much it won't stall or pull away. Strange that the 1st few minutes  of the day it doesn't do it!

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2014, 22:43:57 »
The whole thing is strange and difficult to diagnose remotely. If it helps at all, my gear lever has lots of play in it, even after replacing the pivot bolt in the foot rest. I don't have any issues like yours although shifting has become a little less smooth after fitting the foot peg lowering kit. This is because the distance between the peg and the lever is reduced because of the lowering. The difference in angle is what's making the shifting feel "stiffer", a long lever could alleviate it, but it's very difficult getting a longer lever for a Wee that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I'll have to remove the foot peg lowering kit because of this as I also can't adjust the lever so it is high enough for my off road boots now (lever hits the bottom of the foot peg hanger bracket before it's high enough to get the boots in under it, only just though.) I guess the whole peg lowering thing doesn't help you, but the just is that the angle of the linkages could affect things. I believe you've checked these already so it might not be of any help.

Offline gixerpaul

« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2014, 14:12:41 »
I have adjusted the linkage right in and also as wide as it will go . Still no joy, I keep hoping it will disappear by magic either that or go bang!

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2014, 18:55:18 »
Are we talking about the same linkage? The one that goes over the gear shift rod's splines. The angle of that bit can make shifting very crappy if it's just moved a few degrees too far in either way.

Number 27 in the diagram:
http://www.suzukipartshouse.com/oempart ... r-shifting

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2014, 20:31:20 »
+1 on what Juv said.

When I fitted my footpeg kit, I got the linkage a few degrees out and it really felt wierd. It would need a small nudge to change gears in one direction and a big nudge in the other. One way it crunched a bit and the other didn't.

That's after I actually turned it into a 5 down and 1 up box by fitting the linkage upside down.  :shy:
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline gixerpaul

« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2014, 16:29:10 »
linkage seems good to me, goes in gear smoothly when engine has been standing over night and cold. I keep thinking possible heat expansion on maybe clutch parts. push rod is adjusted 1/4" turn out so shouldn't be that. taking clutch casing off next week.

Offline gixerpaul

« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2014, 21:27:08 »
Had all the clutch out , no obvious wear all in tolerance. ordered new clutch actuator as its very worn, a lot of side to side movement .fingers crossed it sorts it. Adjusted it many times before but maybe its not getting full movement.

Offline gixerpaul

« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2014, 20:19:25 »
New  actuator fitted, still same problem .soon as temperature is up to 3 bars grinding from neutral to 1st or second. Oh well put up with it until it blows up!