Author Topic: puncture advice  (Read 1860 times)

Offline viper

puncture advice
« on: August 10, 2014, 21:03:07 »
I have a Anakee 2 tyres on my DL1000, I have just had a puncture in the rear tyre which is a nail between the tread Patten. I have been told that you should not repair it, I looked on the Michelin wed site and they also say the should not be repaired but replaced.

Any advice please I don’t realy have to but another one.
Viper

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
Re: puncture advice
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 21:32:44 »
You have to decide for yourself if you're going to plug it or not because if it all goes wrong no one else is going to take the blame :)

I'm of the opinion that tyre fitters/vendors/manufacturers will always take the safe option of telling you to replace it. Firstly, they can't tell you to plug it if there is any danger to yourself, and secondly, either you or someone else will sue them if something happens.

Personally, since it's only a nail and the hole will be quite small, I'd plug it. This is not me telling you what to do, I'm just telling you what I would do. Incidentally, I just pulled a pop rivet end out of my tyre yesterday, luckily it went in sideways in a big tread block and didn't cause a puncture.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 21:36:57 »
I thought Michelin sanctioned two puncture repairs in their tyres if the site was in the central 50% of the tyre and not Z rated?

Online kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 21:54:18 »
Each tyre manufacturer will have differnet values concerning puncture repairs but the general rule with bike tyres is you shouldn't repair punctures in the tread and a max of 3 repairs is acceptable.
I repair tyres all the time and often advise customers of the above but many of them ask if I can still repair..? and on their say so will repair in the tread because people can't justify paying for a new tyre when there current tyre hasn't worn out however, not once have I ever had anyone get back to me saying their tyre has leaked or caused any danger to them.
In your case I would get it repaired only because your bike isn't a superbike capable of silly speeds but in the end its down to you and how you feel about it.
:thumb:
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Timmo

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 22:10:19 »
It's purely cost,how much tread on tyre if it's a lot repair,if not replace.if it was front replace would be the only answer!

Online kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 22:22:19 »
Quote from: "Timmo"
.if it was front replace would be the only answer!

+1 ..  :thumb:
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline viper

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 22:27:14 »
Thanks folks I understand what you’re saying its just the thought of throwing away what looks and is a new tyre.  Although Michelin tyres web site does say you can repair it there only stipulation is not to repair between the tread blocks.  
If it was just me riding repair, but as the wife comes out with me it’s a new tyre

Offline Retraite

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 07:12:50 »
Without wishing to teach anyone to 'suck eggs' there is a world of difference between a 'plug' and a 'repair'.

Plugs are temporary fixes to get you home or to a garage where as a repair with a proper 'patch type, plug thing' hot-vulcanised inside the tyre, is permanent.

"Autocorrect is my greatest enema."

Offline Timmo

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 18:25:31 »
That's the right thing to do and for the right reason otherwise it will be on your mind every trip and you don't need the distraction. But I think the wife should pay.

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 18:49:35 »
Quote from: "Timmo"
That's the right thing to do and for the right reason otherwise it will be on your mind every trip and you don't need the distraction. But I think the wife should pay.

lol
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline viper

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2014, 22:28:08 »
That made the Wife laugh as she slapped the back of my head.

:violence-smack:

New tyre being fitted Tuesday :thumb:

Offline Dave the Dude

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2014, 03:14:20 »
Quote from: "Retraite"
Without wishing to teach anyone to 'suck eggs' there is a world of difference between a 'plug' and a 'repair'.

Plugs are temporary fixes to get you home or to a garage where as a repair with a proper 'patch type, plug thing' hot-vulcanised inside the tyre, is permanent.

Do they still 'hot vulcanise' now, with all the advances on adhesives?

Offline Jacko

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2014, 06:46:10 »
Not on any punctures I've had repaired.

I've done trackdays and tours of Scotland in winter, when you need a tyre to perform at it's best, on puncture repaired tyres, in my opinion it's a non-issue.

Offline Retraite

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2014, 08:01:24 »
My mistake, I should have said 'hot vulcanising' or cold 'patch & plug' repair - oops.

http://www.herefordtyres.co.uk/tyres-1/ ... e-repairs/
"Autocorrect is my greatest enema."

Offline Pedro41

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2014, 14:00:14 »
Same thing happend to me recently- slow puncture in the rear tyre.

I got a vulcanised patch  at a car tyre dealers for £14.

They could only work on loose wheels, so I took the wheel out and refitted it afterwards.

They didn't have paddock stands etc.

As I had a nail in mine, it would have meant increasing the hole to 6mm to fit a plug.

Offline Jacko

puncture advice
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2014, 18:49:57 »
I've looked into buying a 6mm tungsten reamer, a box of mushrooms and a tin of vulcanising rubber solution. My puncture repairs cost me a fiver, for the amount I get it wouldn't be cost effective to buy in.

Offline Timmo

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2014, 23:27:28 »
Mitas sport force tyres massive recall in MCN today's, if you have don't use them.

Offline Fastmole

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2014, 05:32:43 »
In my experience the proper mushroom type plug/patch repair done from inside the tyre is very very good. Slightly off topic but I have been known (just the once ) to do a complete (road) race  day (5 sprint races) on a rear tyre with a plug/patch repair.  :eusa-whistle:  Would I do it again.......er........
Will

GSXR 600 K1 track bike.