Author Topic: 2010 wee gears sticking???  (Read 782 times)

Offline stuzero

• going custom....
  • Bike: project K2-Vee
2010 wee gears sticking???
« on: August 14, 2014, 18:34:11 »
Having an issue with my bike blokes? can anyone shed any light on what might be the issue....

Intermittent gearbox issue where the gear box doesn't like shifting when the engine is warm(after 15/20 mins of running) but to get round this issue I have found that blipping the throttle before my down-shifts almost seems to stop it happening.

When it happens the gear lever seems almost rigid won't go up or down, and at times when I've pulled up in second and it won't let me kick down(or up if in first) to select neutral I've had to put the side stand down killing the engine and then select it.

Its not happening all the while but enough for it to be annoying as I commute every day.

In thinking it might be a basic maintenance issue I have greased the linkage, and on lubing the clutch cable I found it to be frayed so I have replaced it. But the issue is still there.

I haven't owned the bike long but have been riding for a fair few years, Its a ALO on an 09 plate with 22,000 on it. Hasn't had a dealer service in a while but the previous owner did a lot of work himself and included the invoices when he part ex it.

If anyone's got any ideas they'd be very much appreciated because without sounding poor I can't afford to send it in to a dealer to solve this right now but if its damaging my bike I want to try and fix it.

Thanks for reading  :ty:
Do blue ones go faster..... only one way to find out.... now how does it go back together

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
Re: 2010 wee gears sticking???
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 22:47:42 »
I've seen the stuck solid thing been mentioned before and it turned out to be the gear linkage being mispositioned on the gear shift rod's spline. The angle there's an explanation in the service manual of how it should be mounted when it's correct, varying too far from that can cause this issue. Worth investigating as it's very easy to fix if this is the problem.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline stuzero

• going custom....
  • Bike: project K2-Vee
Re: 2010 wee gears sticking???
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 06:38:43 »
Thanks, that is going to be my investigation for today, it looks right but its worth a little bit of fiddling to eliminate something esle.
Do blue ones go faster..... only one way to find out.... now how does it go back together