Author Topic: I have given in to temptation  (Read 4207 times)

Offline frez

Re: I have given in to temptation
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2014, 13:58:57 »
Even if it doesn't sell well in the UK it may sell well elsewhere. The TDM is an example, it sold badly in the UK but it sold well in the rest of Europe.
Now on a Super Tenere having put 64k miles on a 2011 DL650

Offline geekay

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2014, 15:46:39 »
it wasn't just the price we whinged about though was it.

I could be tempted at the current price - the super ten is a great bike, but it is very heavy - think the DL1000 would be noticeably lighter?

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2014, 16:21:58 »
The Veek is a featherweight compared to the S10.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline geekay

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2014, 16:25:01 »
Quote from: "Juvecu"
The Veek is a featherweight compared to the S10.

is it really?

on paper its, what 208kg? - but that's dry so with fuel, 20ltrs = roughly 20kg + coolant + oil - probably 240Kg?

the super10 is claimed 259Kg "ready to go" - I didn't think I'd notice the 20kg

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2014, 16:29:44 »
To me, 20kg is quite a big difference. The Veek supposedly also carries it lower than the S10 which makes more of a difference than the weight itself.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)

Offline geekay

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2014, 16:39:10 »
Quote from: "Juvecu"
To me, 20kg is quite a big difference. The Veek supposedly also carries it lower than the S10 which makes more of a difference than the weight itself.

Hmm - certainly I'd be surprised at that actually.

the S10 is known for "hiding its weight well" - it carries the weight low and the inclined parallel twin helps in this. Its also very far forward - helped by a side-mounted radiator. In riding, the S10 feels more "front weighted" than the Wee I had - and even loaded for touring feels fairly neutral. There;s just too much of it! The S10 is fine when riding - its pushing it about the drive / garage / parking that it becomes a handful

I should really go look at the Veek in the flesh, so to speak, and have a sit / push around - see what its like.

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2014, 17:44:33 »
Quote from: "geekay"
it wasn't just the price we whinged about though was it.

No, it was related to value. The popular points that surfaced were mainly due to expecting more from a ten grand bike, budget plastics, exposed exhaust valves, general fit and finish. Lower the price to £7999 and those issues virtually disappear in a sea of value.

Nobody said it was a bad bike.

Offline cpjs

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2014, 18:56:48 »
The Veek weighs in at 228kg wet making it the lightest in its class.
KTM 230kg.
Gs and MTS near enough 240kg
It doesn't matter what the numbers are it's how it feels, I spent 2 weeks dragging 370kg of Harley round California this year. because I am a short arse and the bike is low I found it easier to paddle around than my Wee, even 2up.
I test rode a new lowered GS last week and found it easier to manoeuvre than my Wee under all riding situations especially at low speed two up. The only time you notice extra weight is pushing the bike around, I've got an engine or wife/mate to help me with that.
I am very tempted as it is the lowest ADV bike by at least an inch and when you only have an inside leg of 28" that is a big difference.
There was no buffeting and lowering my head by 2" made it almost silent whilst still looking over the screen, I thought I had got the screen sorted on the Wee, obviously not. I didn't realise how tiring the noise/buffeting was until it was taken away.
Biggest problem is the extra £10,000 pounds I would need to find. I have tried selling the wife but best offer of £3.26 is not going to help much.
Too young to be in care, too old to remember why.

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2014, 18:57:08 »
I've had a very quick go on Josh's S10 in a field, not enough space to judge it, it is definitely well balanced. What I know of the Veek is just from seeing it and reports read. Not an authoritive opinion at all. I should really take Redcar up on the offer to test ride the Veek and do a bit of a write up on it. I can probably twist someone's arm at the August bank holiday meet to have a go on a S10 and a Veek back to back even. I'm sure someone would want to ride a Wee that's done over a 100k in exchange :liar:

I agree with Jacko, the Veek seems like a good bike in many ways and with a lower price it will be what the Vee, Wee and Glee is, a good budget buy, proper value for money. For me that price is probably as soon as it dips below £8k with a few basic extras like a centre stand and hand guards, perhaps a top box. I'd imagine once more people had ridden one they will sell at a decent enough pace to not disappear soon.

Offline Blade

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2014, 19:04:11 »
I tested the super ten before riding the Veek, if that's what it's been named, and found the strom to feel much lighter on its feet, so to speak. The super ten certainly didn't feel noticeably heavier but the Suzuki turned in quicker and overall felt easier to handle. Also because it's moving less weight and  is now a torque monster the engine, to me, is much more fun. Yes in the build quality stakes the Yamaha is a clear winner but for riding pleasure the new strom is a league ahead.
If you think you can, or you think you can't, either way; you're right.

Offline petestrom

« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2014, 21:04:42 »
The Veek looks much nicer in red IMHO well done, nice bike, now the price is shifting it could be on my radar in the future, funds allowing.
Pete

Make someone's day, it'll come back to you sometime.