Author Topic: Footrest hanger allen bolts  (Read 670 times)

Offline Dave

Footrest hanger allen bolts
« on: August 24, 2014, 16:11:39 »
Whilst trying to remove the front footrest hangers, like others have mentioned in various posts, the left hand side (gearchange) allen keys came undone easy, but the two holding the right hand side are stuck fast. I have managed to round one off, and snapped a allen key trying to get them out, and a impact hammer gun is having no effect. It would appear the only way I am going to remove them is to drill the heads off to remove the mounting plate, and use a stud extracter on the remains, has anyone had to resort to this, and is there enough room to get a extracter on the remaining thread ?, or has anyone any other ideas I can try. I believe the bolts are only torqued to 25 nm?, but mine are stuck fast. ( the gun was supposed to work upto 250nm?) thanks dave

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
Re: Footrest hanger allen bolts
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 16:35:11 »
Before resorting to drilling try soaking the threads from the rear with plus gas. Leave it over night. Then drive a torque bit into the remains of the rounded allen cap screw.

When you have done that try to tighten the bolt to break the corrosion. If it moves clockwise try it anti clockwise to undo the bolt.

Use sockets rather than keys as keys are more likely to cockle.

If that fails do you anyone who can heat up the threads and try the torque bit idea again, or my last ditch measure would be to weld an 8mm bolt to the cap, the heat generated should release it.
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.