Author Topic: Headlight not working  (Read 1214 times)

Offline DEF2001

• Bike: 2015 V-strom 1000
Headlight not working
« on: September 06, 2014, 19:54:52 »
First off it is now working but I thought I would post how I fixed it as it is a common problem I skinned this particular cat a different way to that suggested.
First off I slipped a disc in my back in February so bending over for long periods of time is painful.
The problem with my headlight was the connector plugs  behind the radiator but how to get at them. I started by removing the tank and then the aribox. The main problem with this is that most of the connectors are attached to a plastic shield between the forward cycinder and the radiator and I could not get my ape hand behind the radiator to detach them also you have to leen over the bike which I find uncomfortable. Also the space you are working in is limited.
My bike needed a coolant change so decided to remove the radiator.
To my mind this is easier than removing the tank and airbox and wow does it provide much better access.
All it is is disconnect  3 hoses and remove 2 bolts. Obviously it costs you £10 in coolant but it gives you so much more space to clean the connectors. I will post photos with a step by step guide to cleaning the connectors. But tonight I'm toasting my success and nursing my back.
P.S. l have also removed all the connectors in my OEM heated grips and soldered them. In would be interested in what other people have discovered. My heated grips have not worked for a year and no wonder there were 5 different connectors all covered in road crud what I would call a complete buggers muddle has anyone else got this.

Offline kirky1298

Re: Headlight not working
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 20:08:35 »
I'd be interested to see the photos and tutorial fella !  :thumb:
If you're not living on the edge you're just taking up space

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 20:21:37 »
You can drop the Radiator from its mountings without draining the coolant  :thumb:
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline DEF2001

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 22:02:59 »
Here is space creation. I did know about dropping the rad with out draining it but it made getting the plastic shield off awkward and I cleaned all the connectors and the green ignition connector was difficult to get to without completely removing the radiator.

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 22:17:43 »
You are right, removing the Rad makes it a doddle, but if people were hunting for a non existent horn in a hurry for example (don't ask)  :)  then dropping the Rad off of its mounts and hinging it forwards gives more than enough room to get your fat hands in  :fix:

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 22:36:11 »
Why would you need to look for a horn in a hurry? :eusa-doh:
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 23:04:15 »
You know full well  because you were there :)

Horn not working/not fitted and bloke on his way to view bike.

Offline DEF2001

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 19:33:51 »
Right here goes.
Here is evrything you need for the job
1. Socket Set
2. Pan to catch coolant
3. 1 litre of coolant concetrate
4. Funnel and lenght of hose
5. Normal Grease
6. Dielectric Grease
7. ACF-50
8. Emery Board (disposable nail file)
9. Phillips screwdriver
10. Very small flat head screwdriver

First off you need to establish why your headlight isn't working. Wiggle the wires that come down from the starter switch at the point where they disappear behind the radiator. If this causes the light to come on or off them chances are it is the connector that is behind the radiator that is at fault.
If not then it could still be the connector but I would start with the starter switch fault (link on here somewhere) as it is the easiest to fix.
1. You must remove the side pannels of the wee. (see dr Vstrom tank removel video on You tube)
2. Then you will need to drain the coolant out of the system (see dr Vstrom video for coolant change)
3. First remove the 3 hoses connected to the radiator. Place a towl over the front mud guard to protect it form scratching. Once this is done remove the bottom bolt show in the picture.

Remove the radiator protector if you have one.
Loosen the top bolt arrowed in the picture and pivot the radiator forward. This will give you slightly better access. Disconnect the white fan connector ( see picture)

Also disconnect the 2 connectors on the horn.
Now remove the top bolt on the radiator and move maneuver it away from the bike.
There are 2 clips on the top of the plastic shield (see picture)

Unclip these and the radiator should come completely away from the bike leaving the sheild held in place by the wiring.
Push all the connector clips through and the plastic shield should come away as well leaving you this (see picture).

Uncouple all the connectors and give both the female and male side a squirt of ACF-50 and leave to soak.
Once they have soaked for a while use the emery board to file the male connectors and get rid of any corrosion.
Then clean out any residual crud left in the male connectors.
Reconnect the connecters and see if everything works.
In my case this did'nt do the trick so using the small screwdriver I removed the 2 headlight female pins out of the connector(large black connector block the 2 largest wires on the left of the block.)
This is easiest done with 2 people. The female connectors are held in place by a plastic retaining clip inside the block. Place the flat head srewdriver below the connector and prize the retaining clip downwards, have a buddy then pull the connector out of the block with a pair of long nosed pliers. If by yourself this is a total pain in the a*s*.
The connector could just need reshaping or just a good clean.
Then reconnect and see if the headlight works.
If it does then open up the plug and put a small splodge of Dielectic grease in. This just prevents water from getting in and prevents Corrosion.
Connect the plug and recheck if it works. If it isn't working then it is likely that the grease is forming a barrier and you may need to reshape the female connecter.
If it works give the plug an thorough wiggle making sure the headlight doesn't flicker.
If it still works you can put everything back together. The only thing to do differntly is to connect the plastic shield to the back of the radiator before putting it back on the bike.
For refilling the coolant follow the Dr Vstrom video but if you use a short length of hose with a funnel you can refill the coolant bottle without having to completely remove the tank.
Also always grease any bolts when putting them back (copper grease on the lower rad bolt if you've got it)

Good luck

Offline greywolf

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 19:58:45 »
The stock connectors leave something to be desired. I've long recommended adding headlight relays. The stock headlight wiring system only needs to handle enough current to activate the relays and will last much longer.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s