Author Topic: is there a problem with the Tiger Explorers ?  (Read 2041 times)

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
Re: is there a problem with the Tiger Explorers ?
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2014, 21:01:32 »
You can spend hours in the garage with a toothbrush, tubes of Solvol Autosol and rags cleaning and polishing them. Spoked wheels allow a certain amount of flex and theoretically are less likely to crack when given a hard time when riding off road. They may also be a bit more comfortable as this flexing acts to some extent as a shock absorber.  Spoked wheels with alloy rims also look very nice on cafe racers.....

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2014, 22:44:07 »
Flex then. Makes sense.

Offline Frankenstrom

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2014, 07:46:32 »
Spokes are also replaceable. So if you do have a major hit on your wheel and a spoke snaps theoretically its easy to swap out (or you can tension the rest of the wheel as a temporary fix). Also blootering a rim it allows for replacement also (without having to change the hub). More chance of getting a rim to fit than a specific wheel out in the back of beyond perhaps.

Makes sense on an 'adventure'....

Offline Robotstar5

• Bike: DL650K5
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2014, 16:34:43 »
Quote from: "hookie"
You can spend hours in the garage with a toothbrush, tubes of Solvol Autosol and rags cleaning and polishing them..

I used to "paint" my rims/spokes with a 50/50 mix of EP90 & grease just before winter, they would go black in a couple of weeks but come spring a good clean and they looked like new!

I do prefer cast wheels though, only 3 spokes to clean on each wheel  :)