Author Topic: Chain and Sproket?  (Read 2763 times)

Offline Euroned

Chain and Sproket?
« on: March 18, 2014, 14:31:16 »
Need new chain and sproket for my Wee (59 plate)....local dealer quoted £150 to purchase one and £80 to fit it. Was thinking of purchasing a chain and sproket myself and getting them to fit it.

Please can someone advise what a good chain sproket set for my Wee that is less than £150!!??

Cheers

Neil
Stay rubber side down!

Offline frez

Re: Chain and Sproket?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 14:39:36 »
Go to an independent to fit it, £80 for less than an hours work is a rip off. Buy a decent C&S kit off ebay or wemoto.
Now on a Super Tenere having put 64k miles on a 2011 DL650

Offline Euroned

Stay rubber side down!

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 16:40:23 »
Buster's and their sister company M&P have been around for years and sell stuff that is perfectly OK. The general view is that the best chains for reliability and long life are made by DID. The chain you have listed appears to be an unbranded "X" one, although it may well be a DID one, but it might be better to pay a few quid more and buy one that you know is a DID one. Also "X" ring chains are more expensive than "O" ring ones because they retain their grease better and should last longer. So it really is a matter of what you are willing to pay. You should be able to pick up a DID "X" ring set for around £85. An extra heavy duty set which should last longer for around £140. £80 for fitting is pricey. Any competent mechanic with the right gear should be able to do it for a fair bit less.

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 16:54:03 »
I ordered the same kit for the Navigator, as Hookie said, a DID kit turned up. Top  quality gear ( see what I did there?)

As others have said £80 to fit is rude, but I suppose most dealers have big windows so they can see you coming....
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline kissofdeath

• Bike: Veek
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 18:14:42 »
I just had sprockets and chain fitted, bought a DiD x-ring kit off ebay for £89, and the garage quoted £30 to fit although my mate did it for £20  :)

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 21:00:16 »
I bought a DID X-Chain and both sprockets had them fittted by an Independent. The fitting was £78 including a service, so I cannot break the price down to just what the chain/sprockets cost.

I guess they could have been draining the oil while doing the chain, so maybe I was double charged for that bit !
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 21:02:28 »
JT Sprockets and DID chains is what you want, X-ring if you can, but O-ring is fine too. 15 teeth on the front sprocket, 47 on the rear sprocket and you need a 118 link 525 chain. If you find a longer chain for cheaper then buy it, it can easily be shortened. Go for the gold looking chains, they don't corrode.

It's not a full hour's work to change a chain on a Wee, assuming you have a proper chain breaker and riveting tool. £80 is very steep, IMHO, find a local independent with good reputation and you'll let them do it.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline bigusdickus

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 23:41:14 »
Cut the old chain off using a grinder and fit the new sprockets yourself. Buy a spring link off ebay and saves you having to use a rivit tool. I know that most people belive that the spring link is not as good as a rivit type and if the bike was putting out 150 BHP at the rear wheel I would agree. I used a spring type on my CBR600 for over 20k miles and no problem. Think back 10 years ago and most chains regardless of the BHP used spring links on the chains.

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 20:44:24 »
Even 400cc DR-Zs that put out less than 40 BHP has problems with split links. The people who are usually saying not to use them are the ones that had problems with them, the rest are just people who will have problems in the future. IMHO, it's not worth the risk considering the consequences.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline bigusdickus

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 22:57:58 »
I agree that a solid link on the chain is a better option than a spring link, but there are just as many failures of the solid links failing as spring links. It is a preference, I am more than happy using a spring link on my wee , but would not trust it on my RSVR due to the high BHP and torque. The spring  does  take some strain from the the forces on the chain but it only stops the link from falling out on the chain, all the main forces are horizontal on the chain. Check out some of the chain failures on you tube, makes you wish you had shaft drive.

Offline 2112

• Bike: Honda 750 Transalp, Victory Crossroads 1731
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 04:14:33 »
Quote from: "bigusdickus"
Check out some of the chain failures on you tube, makes you wish you had shaft drive.

Unless it's made by BMW...
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2014, 08:46:13 »
Quote from: "bigusdickus"
The spring  does  take some strain from the the forces on the chain but it only stops the link from falling out on the chain, all the main forces are horizontal on the chain. Check out some of the chain failures on you tube, makes you wish you had shaft drive.

But do these failures only take place at the link? The joining links will be just as strong as any other part of the chain. I would suspect that most chain failures are due to wear leading to breakage at the weakest point, aided by lack of maintenance, proper adjustment and good lubrication. If my memory serves me correctly linkless chains first appeared in 1969 on the Honda CB750 and gradually increased in usage over the years. The problem with spring links is that people sometimes fit the spring the wrong way round. Also many bikes have rubberised guards or runs that could catch the spring and help it come off. On balance rivetted and interference fit links are much safer if properly fitted.

Offline putbinoot

• Bike: WEE, KLX250, GasGas 250, GasGas 125
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2014, 09:36:43 »
When I done mine  I looked at the price of a decent rivet kit £35-50 compared to the swing arm tool £12 so I bought  a solid chain undone the swing arm pivot tilted the swing arm popped the chain through and all good, no need to remove the exhaust. Hardest part was getting the front sprocket nut to crack, but it is something you could do yourself if you have some tools.

Offline hookie

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2014, 11:23:35 »
This in many ways is the best way if getting the swinging arm isn't too much of a pain. When linkless chains first came out this was the only way to replace them as links were not available. It's also a good opportunity or excuse to give everything a good clean and grease before reassembling.

Offline Bobstar222

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2014, 12:07:37 »
I agree with hookie it's all down to maintenance. My son raced British motox champs for 10 years and we never had a chain break. I have seen them snap when too tight in heavy conditions or been too slack come off and smash the motor. If you change the spring regular and maintain the chain there's no problem

Offline Euroned

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2014, 14:20:12 »
Busters DID chain and sprockets are the BIZZ.....bike is super quiet(no cluncking) and responsive again now, confidence back to go on longer trips now.

Thanks to all for advice, Excellent bunch of Strommers. Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Neil
Stay rubber side down!