Author Topic: Horrible clanky noise :(  (Read 3430 times)

Offline Locky

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 800xc & Yamaha TTR250
Re: Horrible clanky noise :(
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2014, 22:41:14 »
A wise move Snowstrom , you've had your moneys worth out of that chain.

Offline SnowStrom

• Bike: None :(
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2014, 22:47:45 »
Absolutely,  nearly 25k miles in all weathers, I'm happy with that :)

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2014, 09:03:16 »
I may be wrong, but I think that the OEM Strom chain is an 'O' ring type, so a Gold 'X' ring should be even longer-lasting, heres an explanation I nicked off the internet...from here

BONUS! You may be able to use the bit I underlined in a paper on primitive technology, as maybe the dinosaurs used chains!

What are O Ring and X Ring chains?
There are three principal types of roller drive chains: non O Ring, O Ring and X Ring. The non O Ring types date back to the beginning of time and are still used extensively today. They are strong, light, cheap to produce and relatively friction free but they do not have internal lubrication, so they tend to wear out more quickly. These days they tend to be used most on smaller capacity and Moto X bikes.

As motorcycle technology and power output has increased, chain design has had to improve with it. So for bigger and more powerful bikes, non O Ring chains have been very much superseded by O Ring and X Ring chains. These position a sealing ring between the inner and outer chain plates. Before riveting in the factory, the internal parts of the chain are filled with chain grease by vacuum. The sealing rings then have two purposes: to keep the internal lubrication in, and to keep the dirt out, thus vastly improving the durability of the chain. O rings were available first and the ring is literally O shaped. As the two plates push on either side of the O ring, it distorts to have two flat sides to its shape. This is great for sealing and great for most uses but it creates considerable friction which saps the bike's power.

That in turn led to the development of X Ring chains. X describes the shape of the ring. Instead of having an O shape it now has an X shape. This means that when pressed between the chain plates, it no longer has a flattened O ring shape but instead has two smaller faces touching either plate in an X shape. This gives you the same great sealing and durability but now with very low friction. The perfect chain!

Plus they look good.
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2014, 09:54:41 »
Good post!

It's also worth pointing out that from a given manufacturer the tensile strength (rated strength of the chain before it breaks) for their chains will often be the same for non ring, O and X ring types, within the same size and material specs. We pay the extra for having the sealing rings as they should last longer and reduce labour and sprocket costs for their replacements.

I remember happy days when you had two chains for your bike plus spring links and these were rotated every couple of weeks and re-lubed with Linklyfe, a boiling hot tin of grease on my mum's cooker which you put the chain in to get the grease back inside the rollers. Then hung up to let the excess drip off. Once almost set my shed on fire when it did this on a camping stove, similar to a chip pan fire. My brother still does this on his classic Triumphs...

Offline greywolf

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2014, 12:42:16 »
As an example of why to question anything you read on the Internet,  :haha:  http://www.ehow.com/about_5374459_types ... hains.html

How many of you are running Y ring chains?  :crazy:
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s