Author Topic: Clutch sticking open help  (Read 709 times)

Offline awol72

Clutch sticking open help
« on: March 17, 2014, 18:42:23 »
I'm driving a 2007 DL1000 and a few weeks ago I brought it to a local bike shop as I could change gears but clutch would not release so bike wouldn't move bloke in the shop said the clutch was stuck open he fixed it today I went to go for a ride bike started put it into first and same thing again bike in gear revving away as if it was in neutral and going nowhere does anyone know why clutch would stay open I've ridden it a few times since he "fixed " it and it ran fine

Offline Abercol

• Bike: 2016 Explorer XRT
Re: Clutch sticking open help
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 10:56:37 »
When you pull the lever it causes a piston to push a rod that passes through the crankcase to the clutch, the rod also passes through the cover plate for the front sprocket and it can get very very dirty/greasy/gummed up in there, the rod may be stuck in the hole and not returning??

My first thought would be to strip the mechanism and make sure its clean and working properly. Its easy enough to do & there are tutorials on the VSRI site on the whole thing.

You haven't lost your clutch fluid?? (check the LH reservoir level)

Offline awol72

Re: Clutch sticking open help
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 23:17:13 »
Thanks abercol it turns out the end of the push rod was corroded  and stopped it from returning take a bow you genius