Author Topic: Braided Brake Lines - Advice Needed  (Read 846 times)

Offline Little_Chris

Braided Brake Lines - Advice Needed
« on: March 31, 2014, 13:56:49 »
Hi,

I want to replace my existing brake hoses for braided ones. At the same time I want to do away with the link pipe on the front and run separate lines to each caliper.

I have 1.5 inch up and 1 inch back risers so really need a custom line made up specifically for my bike (not an off the shelf solution).

Does anybody know somewhere in the Midlands who would do this and if anyone has already done it, how did you secure the lines to the mudguard to stop them flapping about?

I'd also be interested to know if anyone thinks all this would be more money than it's worth.

Thanks,

Chris.
Shanks' Pony > Second Hand Brown BMX > Eddie Merckx racer > 556 Bus > Yamaha RXS100 > Honda CB250 Super Dream Deluxe > Yamaha RD350 YPVS > Kawasaki GT750 > 1300cc Custom Trike > Suzuki DL650 Glee

Offline frez

Re: Braided Brake Lines - Advice Needed
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 14:20:56 »
Probably more cost than reward.

My local independent will make up any size brake line needed. He has a reel of Goodridge hose that he cuts to size, and then puts on the relevant fittings. He did this for my daughters GPZ500S. It was probably a bit more expensive than buying one ready made off the shelf, but for bikes where there are not ready made kits then this is a solution. I'm sure plenty of other garages can do the same thing, so maybe phone round a few.
Now on a Super Tenere having put 64k miles on a 2011 DL650

Offline bigpie

• Site Donator
  • Bike: DL650
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 14:40:16 »
On my old SV650 I did a handlebar conversion and needed new hoses, I used http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/wezmoto-eu told him the bike and how much extra length I needed and he made them up, no extra cost.

Offline zippy

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 17:44:24 »
hi chris is yours the glee ?? if so I have just done all mine and they look so much better than the orginal
with the riser you only have to worry about the one line as it goes from the master cylinder to the block unit under the lower triple clamp all the other lines goodridge have the sizes as I left them mine and for that no charge to me yipeeee  very pleased
 if you get in contact with dan at goodridge in Exeter he should be able to help
with the riser its not to hard to work out put the risers on with everything fitted and just use some string etc and do a trial run and allowing for a bit more then you have you length just let them know that size
you are more than welcome to view mine if required live in northamptonshire
I will find the telephone number and post
also beware the rear hose from the abs unit to the master cylinder was the worse bit as very tight and that was have all the right kit make sure you have a 10mm pipe spanner
the front does not need rad removal just undo the 2 x 8mm head bolts then you can get at the 10mm pipe bolts then hold the connector and crack off sounds hard but fairly easy
don't think you can go from the mater cyl to calipers as it has to go to the abs unit then to the calipers
thanks Jason