Author Topic: Yet another gear position indicator thread  (Read 975 times)

Offline Tall-n-thin

Yet another gear position indicator thread
« on: March 22, 2014, 19:50:10 »
Hi all,

Haven't posted for a while (still been around though) but need some advice. Yeah, yeah, I know, only comes to see us when he wants something.....

Anyway. Like some of you, I am constantly trying to change into seventh gear. I know I haven't got one. My left foot knows I haven't got one. My brain (apparently) knows I haven't got one. Even the check-the-rev-counter-ah-yes-I'm-deffinitely-in-6th check says there's no need to change up. Yet despite all of the above, I find myself trying. Just in case. Every bloody time.

One day, there's going to be a seventh gear. That'll freak me out.

My brother always finds this hilarious. He annoyingly has a GPI. He also has a Gixxer, so he isn't able to count above three.  So he decides to buy me a GPI kit for my birthday (bless him). Unfortunately it's one of those cheapo magnet and two hall sensor types.

This in itself isn't too much of a problem (they generally work OK-ish).  The problem is that the Wee's gear lever is rather inconveniently hanging in the middle of nowhere, and not near anything handy to stick the hall sensors on to.

Apart from the obvious "why not chuck it away and get one that plugs into the annoyingly already installed but only used for fuel mapping sensor wires", they are (a) stupidly expensive for what they are, and (b) my bro' would probably be a bit miffed.

I was planning to make a custom one myself as part of an elaborate Raspberry Pi / LCD screen onboard computer thingy (must come up with a better title for it), but that's a project for another day. A sunny one. That's about a fortnight long.

So my hugely unnecessarily long question boils down to this:
Has anyone fitted a hall-sensor type GPI to a Wee, and if so how/where did you mount the magnet and hall sensors?

Any pointers/advice/pictures/abuse welcome.

Cheers,
Steve.
DL650 Wee, MRA Vario tall screen, Oxford Hotgrips, Cymarc frame protectors, DL1000 seat (for that extra inch), Scottoiler, Cut Peashooter, mudguard Extenda, GPS mount made from idiot strip.

Offline kissofdeath

• Bike: Veek
Re: Yet another gear position indicator thread
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 06:27:55 »
viewtopic.php?t=17257

have a look here, he is a member on here and doesn't charge too much :fix:

Offline greywolf

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 12:58:27 »
You will have to look at the instruments to check the readout. There is already an indication in place you're in top gear. If the needles on the rev counter and speedometer are parallel, you're in sixth gear.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline Locky

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 800xc & Yamaha TTR250
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 13:05:57 »
Same method I use Greywolf  :thumb:  no need for an indicator  :shrug:

Offline kirky1298

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 23:22:16 »
Quote from: "Locky"
Same method I use Greywolf  :thumb:  no need for an indicator  :shrug:

It's true, but I too find myself searching for the fabled seventh gear from time to time .  :thumb:
If you're not living on the edge you're just taking up space