Author Topic: buying a older model 1000  (Read 1014 times)

Offline Big Rab

• Bike: V-STROM 650
buying a older model 1000
« on: March 12, 2014, 19:57:18 »
Hi , Putting my GSX1400 up for sale now the winter is over.
So looking at a 2002, model v-strom 1000 ,one on here near me.
 Hope to see it shortly.
 Anything to look for on an older model, any faults on these.
 Any advice will be appreciated greatly.

Thanks

Rab

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
Re: buying a older model 1000
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 19:26:25 »
Essentially the Vee stayed pretty much the same throughout it's life. The most obvious difference on the early ones was the screen and it's mountings which changed in 2004 (I think) for one which has three mounting positions. Another change at the around that time was a new engine management ECU. If the bike has been regularly serviced, well looked after and everything is working OK then you shouldn't have any problems. The engine and transmission is very strong and is capable of very high mileages with very few problems. One thing to listen for is a noisy clutch at tickover which goes away when you pull the clutch in. This is a well known issue and it's quite likely that it has been rectified already on a bike of this age. This noise is more of an irritation and very rarely causes any problems. Also have a look at the paint on the engine, in particular the clutch cover and water pump. Corrosion is common but can be fixed fairly easily with a little work. Frame, forks and cycle parts are generally problem free but have a good look for corrosion on the things like fork stancions under the fairing and wheels. The brakes at best are only adequate and can suffer from tightness and seizing of the pistons and caliper sliders. All easily fixable but if needed a useful haggling point when negotiating the sale. Try to get a test ride and make sure it all runs OK. Vees tend to be bit lumpy at low revs chugging around town, but should be quite manageable. Any low end popping through the exhausts or spitting back can indicate problems which can usually be fixed fairly easily- more haggling... On standard gearing, top gear is really an overdrive and not really usable below about 60-70mph. Many owners gear it down a bit which makes the bike much better. All service parts, both genuine and pattern are readily available at sensible prices and there is a good range of tyres available. All in all an excellent bike for doing pretty much anything on.

Offline Big Rab

• Bike: V-STROM 650
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 19:42:38 »
Thanks, Hookie. :thumb:

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 20:28:52 »
You ask the right questions and you get the right answers. :)

Offline vstroman

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 22:57:02 »
Great advice for me too Hookie, any luck finding a vee yet Big Rab?

Offline Abercol

• Bike: 2016 Explorer XRT
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 11:32:38 »
I am thinking of getting a GSX1400....can you PM me and let me know more about the bike & what you want for it?

May also be looking to sell my K7 Vee GT as well - although the Mrs says keep it and just buy another bike.

Cheers

Offline nickodemon

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 16:06:31 »
I don't think he wants a vee, as he turned up at mine and talked for over an hour, took for short spin and said he would come back for a longer ride a few days later. He didn't come back and said he sent me a txt to say he wasn't coming. He didn't send any txt. There was absolutely nothing wrong with my bike. Next bloke that viewed it bought it and is delighted with it.
If it's broken, it's not fixed.