Author Topic: Do you change and balance your own Tyres?  (Read 5101 times)

Offline Andy M

• Bike: Hurley-Pugh Empire Wildebeeste Manx Thruxton
Re: Do you change and balance your own tyres?
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2014, 18:24:51 »
Quote from: "Jacko"
That's pretty slick. How do you change the front though?

Same way if the weight off the front changes the balance, or use the forks and a bit of wood.

How you pick up the bike that's rocked off the stand and has a wheel off is the bigger issue. This is IMHO is a method for **** end of Umbagumbaland not in your garage. Using a mates side stand is way better.

Andy

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
Do you change and balance your own tyres?
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2014, 22:01:12 »
To lift a bike that has a wheel removed you refit the wheel.

Offline kirky1298

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2014, 23:13:57 »
Quote from: "Andy M"
Quote from: "Jacko"
That's pretty slick. How do you change the front though?

Same way if the weight off the front changes the balance, or use the forks and a bit of wood.

How you pick up the bike that's rocked off the stand and has a wheel off is the bigger issue. This is IMHO is a method for **** end of Umbagumbaland not in your garage. Using a mates side stand is way better.

Andy

Correct Andy .  :thumb:
I've run the car over the tyre too in the past to break the bead . You just got to think logically about it sometimes .  :grin:
If you're not living on the edge you're just taking up space

Offline bigpie

• Site Donator
  • Bike: DL650
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2014, 11:10:09 »
After seeing this thread, I have convinced my mate to let me have a bash at changing a tyre a his bike at the weekend.

Will be using the side stand of my bike to break the bead. Hopefully it will all be good, it looks pretty simple from the youtube videos.

Offline Descolada

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2014, 11:40:30 »
Let us know how you get on bigpie?

Offline bigpie

• Site Donator
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2014, 12:45:32 »
Will do, ordered some tyre levers and rim protectors. Going to try seat the bead with a ratchet strap and 12v pump, failing that heading to the garage, failing that he'll have to learn to wheelie really well.  :auto-dirtbike:

Going to try to balance with the axle on a couple of axle stands.

Seems that it is generally recommended to change the valve stem with the tyre, anyone else do this? I've no idea if my usual tyre place does this or not, usually just ride in, have a brew and ride out, never thought to ask.

Offline mjc506

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2014, 12:47:51 »
I don't, mainly because I forget to order one with the tyres :)

I really should next time though - they're getting really chewed up.
Projects:
DL650 engine rebuild: Complete!
Brighter rear indicators]Complete![/url]
Heated mirrors]Complete![/url]
Cruise control/Speed limiter/V-puter]Pending...[/color]

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2014, 19:17:33 »
Good luck, changing the tyres on the Wee was a PITA when I tried it. I only did the front, then took the rear to a shop. On the DR-Z they are much easier to do, I'd change them myself any time. The DR-Z uses tubes even though the tyres I put on are tubeless, I have spoked wheels. It did help a lot that I got better tyre levers when I did the DR-Z's tyres, but I doubt that would make changing the Wee's tyres any easier.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline bigpie

• Site Donator
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2014, 19:33:39 »
It is an old Triumph Trident that we are going to attempt and only the front, if my 12" levers arrive before the weekend. Quite looking forward to having a go, as it is not my bike and he's not done mod 2 yet, so no disaster if it doesn't go to plan, I can just run the wheel over to my usual tyre place after work next week.

What's the hardest part? I'm thinking getting the bead to seat could get frustrating.

Offline Jacko

Do you change and balance your own tyres?
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2014, 19:56:59 »
Hardest part is getting the second ring of the new tyre on, it's technique, not brute force, that wins that round. You'll probably struggle to get the beads to blow on with a 12 compressor, I take the valve assembly out and let the compressor max out and turn off, then set it at 90psi and let it rip, even then it can be up in the 60s before the bead seats fully, don't put your fingers in the gap, you'll lose them, no question.

But if you're using a bikes sidestand to break the bead on a tubeless tyre than I'd say the hardest part is using a sidestand to brake the bead, I'll stick to my abba screw type bead breaker I think. Some of the tyres I've taken off my zx6 would have had the whole bike balancing on the sidestand and still not have popped off.

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2014, 20:12:30 »
If you have a large vice then breaking the bead can be done with that. I think getting the tyre off and on is the trouble. The right tyre levers help a lot. I had some of these 12" ones and they were a PITA to use and marked the rims:

Then I researched the subject of tyre changing a bit better and got me some of these, they are great:

Mine aren't the same brand as in the pics, they were cheap ones off eBay and have rubberised handles. I bought the particular ones on recommendation as someone else had them and said they were sturdy and they really are.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)

Offline Locky

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 800xc & Yamaha TTR250
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2014, 20:19:39 »
I use two of the ones in your top pic and one like in the bottom pic . I've only ever changed tubed tyres , I leave tubeless to the local bike shop . Just changed the tyres on the Tenere for TKC 80's , they went on quite easy compared to some I've done over the years . As jacko says there is a knack to it and the more you do the easier it gets also the brand of the tyre makes a difference , some will be easier than others .
I use one of these for bead breaking  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cox-Solo-6-15 ... 5ad63001a3

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2014, 20:25:24 »
I use a G clamp for tyres that are too wide to fit in my vice, bit more of a hassle than a vice, but it does the job :thumb:

Offline bigpie

• Site Donator
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2014, 16:07:12 »
Never again. Changing the tyre wasn't too much of a problem, bit of a faff, but bead was easy to break with a car, was time consuming to man handle the old tyre off and new one on. Getting the bead to seat, impossible. Hours trying ratchet strap and a compressor and failing. Tried to use a propane tourch to fill it with some gas and light it, failed. Took it to a tyre place and 30 seconds later it was seated.

Found out they fit to a loose bike wheel for a tenner, I'll do that in future. Maybe a tubed tyre I'd have a crack at.

Offline Piglumps

• Bike: None at this point
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2014, 16:11:44 »
No.
No bike at present.......

Offline Jacko

« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2014, 10:26:44 »
The only time I've had trouble getting a bead to seal was on a well worn tyre that the seats were warped on.

You did remove the valve itself from the stem to maximise air volume entering the tyre didn't you?

Offline bigpie

• Site Donator
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2014, 13:15:10 »
Removed the valve core. The bead just would not seat, with burning propane, burning carb cleaner or using air and a ratchet strap, he had bought a part warn though.