Author Topic: Heed bash plate with OEM bars  (Read 3462 times)

Offline SparkyBean

Heed bash plate with OEM bars
« on: February 07, 2014, 14:42:54 »
Since taking my V-Strom off road recently and enjoying it, I know I will be doing a lot more of it. So I have been looking around recently for a bash plate. Enduro Guardian is without a shadow of a doubt the one to go for. I even enquired about postage costs and import charges with Enduro Guardian themselves. Then I saw on this forum the Heed bash plate. It looked very similar to the Enduro Guardian but was from Poland and previous customers had said that it arrives within five days and has free postage. I emailed Heed and they were very good at replying to me about whether they work with the original Suzuki crash bars and whether it works with a centre stand and they told me it does in both cases. So I went ahead and ordered the aluminium one which cost me £139 and had free postage. Only four days later it arrived (Wow). It's very nicely made and is very nicely painted too. The only thing I didn't realise is that there is a hole cut in the bottom of it, underneath the exhaust pipe, I couldn't really work out what this was for other than maybe to provide cooling. It's incredibly difficult to get the side stand bolt off in order to fit the bracket. I had to use a spanner and a mallet for about 10 minutes to get the thing fully unscrewed. Once I had got the bash plate on (as per photos on their website), it looked like there was a lot of gap between the bash plate and the bottom of the engine. I realised if I could somehow raise the front end of the bash plate I could reduce that gap considerably and improve the overall look. So I mounted the front fasteners upside down and filled out the gap (created by the fact that the Suzuki bars are thinner than the Heed bars) with old inner tubing. The result was fantastic, there is now a minimal gap between the bottom of the engine and the bash plate and I think it looks much much better too. I am very pleased with the result, but I think Heed could possibly come up with a better fastening system at the front, maybe using U-bolts like in Enduro Guardian does. This would also have an effect of making it a lot stronger at the front as well, as the fasteners that Heed use at the front don't look very strong compared to the beefy bracket that holds on the back end. Photos to follow.

Offline SparkyBean

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 14:46:33 »

Offline SparkyBean

Re: Heed bash plate with OEM bars
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 15:23:43 »
Because of fitting this I now have a Suzuki lower cowling possibly up for grabs. Depends on what someone is willing to offer me for it. As my bike is a 2013 model it has literally done about 1000 miles on the bike.

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 17:25:38 »
The hole is for sump plug access.

Offline Locky

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 800xc & Yamaha TTR250
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 18:55:31 »
Looks better than the original  :thumb:

Offline SparkyBean

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 19:49:47 »
Quote from: "Jacko"
It's not, because there isn't a hole under the sump plug, it's nowhere near it! The hole is under the exhaust. And it's not a traditional drain hole shape, it's shaped to match the exhausts lines.

Offline bosnjo

• Bike: DL1000 L7
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 20:29:28 »
Quote from: "SparkyBean"
Because of fitting this I now have a Suzuki lower cowling possibly up for grabs. Depends on what someone is willing to offer me for it. As my bike is a 2013 model it has literally done about 1000 miles on the bike.
Since the day I got my Glee, I wanted that lower cowling but have never had enough money for it. I don't know how much the postage to Portugal would cost, nor how much you want for it, but still, I doubt I can pay that much.
 :bawl:  :bawl:  :bawl:  :bawl:
DL1000 2017 white
DL1000 2014 red (sold)
DL650 2012 white (sold)

Offline Jacko

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 20:35:28 »
Quote from: "SparkyBean"
Quote from: "Jacko"
It's not, because there isn't a hole under the sump plug, it's nowhere near it! The hole is under the exhaust. And it's not a traditional drain hole shape, it's shaped to match the exhausts lines.

Is there a hole for sump plug access?

Offline Locky

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 20:39:17 »
Not on my Heed bashplate jacko , it's either remove it or let the oil run on the plate . It's only 4 bolts to remove it though and its a good time to give it a clean when a oil change is due ..

Offline Jacko

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 20:44:27 »
Oh, OK, strange. I'd drill one.

Offline driftershooter

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2014, 00:41:08 »
How much for the original plate please?  :)
Riding a bike is good for the soul :-)

Offline SparkyBean

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2014, 14:04:56 »
I was hoping for about £100

Offline SparkyBean

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2014, 15:06:59 »
Well I decided I didn't like the flimsy front mounts in the end. Got some U-bolts and fitted today. Had to drill some holes in the bash plate. Turned out fantastic. It's absolutely solid now. You could jack the bike up on it.

Offline SparkyBean

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2014, 15:08:19 »

Offline Locky

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2014, 15:53:09 »
Done the same with mine to add strength  :thumb:

Offline SparkyBean

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2014, 17:39:04 »
Yeah it's a shame they don't manufacture it that way. I didn't buy mine for cosmetic reasons and the flimsy things it came with just didn't cut the mustard for me. Now it's like a tank.