Author Topic: new tyres, bike feels more difficult to move?  (Read 3063 times)

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
Re: new tyres, bike feels more difficult to move?
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2014, 12:37:14 »
The alloy calipers will expand more than the pistons so could explain why the wheel feels looser when it all gets hot and tighten up when it cools down again. This itself indicates something is amiss. The fact that the pads have worn unevenly also indicates something being wrong and needs fixing. Continuing to ride the bike with binding brakes will cause premature wear to the pads, discs and your nice new tyre, and if very bad can cause the disc to overheat and warp. There is also the safety issue of the brakes not working at their best as well. To do the job properly the caliper and pistons need stripping, cleaning and new seals fitting if needed, and the caliper sliders will need cleaning and re-greasing. If you feel confident about doing it yourself then have a go. I think there's plenty of info. on here to help but as it's a job that needs doing properly for safety reasons so if you're not too confident have a competent mechanic do it for you. I can't help thinking that your quote for £20 is too cheap and would worry that the job will not be done thoroughly.

Offline Seigi

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2014, 18:23:28 »
Quote from: "tallpaul"
Quote from: "Seigi"
seems when it heats up it contracts enough that it rotates freely but when cold it's expanded too much
Sorry for the Sunday morning physics lesson but metals expand when heated!

Right you are. I was going on the premise of water expands when turning to ice, I'm sure I've been corrected on this in the past. I said that the price above was for doing the rear brake, I was under the impression that the front wouldn't be much more work other than doing two sets of brake pads than one. I'll maybe just take it down and get him to do it.

Thanks for the advice.

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2014, 19:01:35 »
Quote from: "hookie"
I can't help thinking that your quote for £20 is too cheap and would worry that the job will not be done thoroughly.

There are also mechanics out there who charge a fortune and still don't do a proper job  :shrug:  If your mechanic quoted you £20 I wouldn't bother getting my hands dirty if I didn't know how to do it.
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline KLV-Rider

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2014, 19:46:15 »
Quote from: "kwackboy"
If your mechanic quoted you £20 I wouldn't bother getting my hands dirty if I didn't know how to do it.

+1, you can also take it back to him if it doesn't solve it!.   :thumb:

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2014, 19:47:18 »
It could just be that the sliding pins are stuck, if he knew this he'd take the calipers off, get the caliper off the pins, do a quick clean and regrease the pins, stick it back in and it's all done. Could take 30 mins if he's quick. Would take me an hour and a half because I'd be finding lots of other stuff to do and take my time with it :shy:
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog