Author Topic: bought a vee and looking for advice  (Read 3948 times)

Offline cpjs

Re: bought a vee and looking for advice
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2014, 17:47:13 »
You can improve your screen even if it is a 02 model.

http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,18591.0.html
Too young to be in care, too old to remember why.

Offline Abercol

• Bike: 2016 Explorer XRT
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2014, 09:31:04 »
PM Resent.... :grin:

Offline nickodemon

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2014, 23:15:04 »
I spoke with a great tuning shop about the bike spitting back when bike drops back to idle and I checked the carb rubbers, which were fine. the tuning shop suggested pair valves? What are they and can they be removed/disconnected?
If it's broken, it's not fixed.

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2014, 10:07:05 »
Never seen them in the flesh myself, but they are meant to inject air into the system to burn up unused fuel at the point of exhaust from the engine - there's a great pic of their location on the DL650 in this thread, a few pics down the page. They can get mucky and cause popping etc

viewtopic.php?f=58&t=18427&p=170069&hilit=pair+valves#p170069
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2014, 12:07:59 »
They are located on the camshaft covers and can be removed and cleaned if necessary. You can buy blanking plates to do away with them if you want to.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PAIR-Valve-Eliminator-with-block-off-plates-Suzuki-DL-1000-V-Strom-/251310488638?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item3a8345bc3e

Offline samih

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2014, 17:20:11 »
Hi OP, congrats on the new bike and hello from a new poster (hi).

I have had a K3 DL1000 as a daily ride since 2006 and have been battling with popping and rough running especially at 3k to 3.5k area for years. I built a "Teka" box but adjusting the ECU did not solve the issue and just lead to higher than desired fuel consumption. Like all the DL1000s it seems the warmer the weather the worse it ran. This is what I have done to solve the issue:

1. Sharealike clutch basket mod (which you already have)
2. Balance throttle bodies (this also ensures the inlet boots are fitted correctly)
3. Check the vacuum hose that runs from cylinder 1 inlet to a vacuum reservoir and further on to the MAP sensor fitted at the rear RHS corner of the airbox. Mine had begun to split at the inside layer so was leaking and lead to bad throttle response.
4. Adjust the TPS to go from '_' to '-' at around 1400 rpm (TPS sync procedure is in the service manual).
5. Disable O2 sensor by cutting one of the wires in the ECU loom.
6. Finally to battle the bad running in traffic/hot weather I moved the inlet air temperature sensor to the front of the airbox. The stock location at the rear bottom corner of of the airbox leads to the sensor heating up when stationary and the bike then begins to surge especially on a hot day. I blocked the stock location using suitable bolt/nut/washers/o-rings combo. I drilled a new 12 mm hole on the front wall of the airbox just underneath the air filter element and screwed in the sensor with some sealer. Not sure what the thread of the sensor is but a nut with correct thread would be nice to have to secure the sensor in place but so far so good without it. To extend wiring to the new location the connector needs to be cut off and a length of suitable wire soldered on.

I think first time ever since owning the bike mine runs like it should with no roughness. The jury is still out regarding the fuel consumption but 1st time in years I'm totally happy with my DL. In the past three years I have been averaging 49 MPG according to fuelly but the fuel mixture has been a tad too lean.

PS. I also fitted TRE box with 5th gear mapping to mask a problem with intermittent gear sensor that lead to O/D light coming on on 3rd gear and the engine management switching between the maps causing surging. This gave the bike a better throttle response at lower gears in the expense of slighty more jerky progress in town. But it is totally manageable. You can feel the secondaries immediately open fully each time the throttle is applied. You'll soon get used to it.

Offline cpjs

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2014, 17:49:29 »
Junk the standard callipers and hoses and fit 01 gsxr callipers and these http://www.svracingparts.com/store/#!/~ ... ort=normal
they can also do your nice black braided hoses as well.
Too young to be in care, too old to remember why.

Offline nickodemon

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2014, 18:38:26 »
Put bike into dyno shop and they balanced throttle bodies and checked throttle position senser. Plugged in yoshi box 'equivalent' and tweaked the mixture. Apparently richened the bottom end and leaned off the top end. Took bike for a drive and spitting back has gone and it drives much better :) Only 87 hp at rear wheel, but it was set up with the venom cans and front cone baffles in place. I removed rear baffles. I dread to think how loud it would be if I removed the front ones, as it's loud enough now.
If it's broken, it's not fixed.