Author Topic: Another not so glowing review  (Read 1570 times)

Offline Tommy3Tanks

Another not so glowing review
« on: January 15, 2014, 06:40:22 »

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
Re: Another not so glowing review
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 07:39:39 »
He came to the conclusion that it's £1,500 too expensive for what it is. I can see a pattern developing...

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 10:45:02 »
He says
There’s nothing wrong with it. In fact it’s good. The engine is strong, with plenty of torque...
and goes on to list other good stuff - but basically says its way down in bhp from multistradas (dur!), and even seems to slag off Suzuki for being honest in not claiming any off-road capabilities for it.

He then focusses on potential buyers wanting the look of an adventure bike...well, that might be true for some, but it isn't all what an adventure bike is about...what about the ergonomics/comfort/practicality of them?

Fair enough, it's his opinions and they're interesting in a way - but to me more for what they reveal: the old journalist obsession with sheer numbers (bhp, bhp!), for one!

What it amounts to is its not what he looks for in a bike he would buy: so far it is what I would look for(disclaimer: haven't ridden one yet!) I do not want/need 150 bhp, for a start. Others might though, fair enough :)
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 11:12:10 »
And that old chestnut.... I am too good a rider to need that ABS and Traction Control stuff! 100 horses is nothing to me! That is only for you little Plebs.

If you accept you are not going off road, why on earth would you want to switch off ABS?

Offline Keith Cross

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 20:58:30 »
Not too worried about most of what the tester says - except for the luggage.

The top box at 35 litres and only big enough for one crash helmet.  Really, this bike will surley be used two up and hence 2 crash helmets wil need to be stored.  And the panniers look small too.  Compared to the standard luggage on my old 650 GT this luggage looks to be a bit of a waste of time.

Keith C
2013 Aprilia Caponord 1200 with travel pack
2009 Aprilia Dorsoduro in Yellow
2006 Vstrom DL1000GT
1990 Honda GL1500
1981 Goldwing Interstate
1966 Triumph 3TA

Offline sharealike

• Site Donator
  • Bike: DL650, SV1000, Triumph Street Twin, Yam XT350 and Hon CX500
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 11:53:56 »
Quote from: "Jacko"
He came to the conclusion that it's £1,500 too expensive for what it is. I can see a pattern developing...

Me too. And others no doubt. If the first years ownership is going to hit you for £2,500 rather than a more realistic £1,000, then the bikes are staying in the showrooms for certain. Are dealers going to give you £1,500 over the odds for your trade in? What's the price if you don't have a trade in?
Please contact me directly about clutch basket modifications. john@vibefreev.com
Website http://www.vibefreev.com/

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
Another not so glowing review
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 12:06:22 »
My guess is they'll mostly sit in showrooms for most of the year, (after the initial rush of folk wanting the newest thing of course) and then the discounts will start creeping in in the Autumn, followed by the full price drop over the winter. Spring 2015 will be the time to buy one new, I'll keep and eye on it for a 2 year old hardly used example for 2016. Or, if the 59mpg figure quoted turns out to be inaccurate, I'll stick with my Glee.

All of this assumes that the Super Tenere isn't the bargain of the century at £9k on the road, if it turns out it is then it could all play out very differently.

For now though, I'm happy with the Glee.