Author Topic: Heated Grips Oxford Hot Grips 2013/14  (Read 1412 times)

Offline BadBoyBubby

Heated Grips Oxford Hot Grips 2013/14
« on: January 12, 2014, 10:08:44 »
:text-imnewhere:

DL650 K5 55 plate

Hi,

Firstly, Hi to all, I'm a newbie on here...... bought the bike for a winter ride and for when I don't want to cart the Mrs around lol.

Bought my first Suzuki  (well road legal anyway) just before xmas, got the Suzuki Brush/hand guards  on there and bought some of the new (well 2012) Oxford Hot Grips (Sports so I could have the bar ends on still) but after having had to cut off my rubber throttle grip (yeah, yeah I know!) I have now found that I have a lip on the end of actual plastic throttle 'slider' which, I would/could have trimmed off but noticed that the heated grip on the throttle side would have been too large to fit & would have just been moving on its own without actually moving the throttle!

Has anyone experienced/overcome this same problem, I'm loathe to spend £288 on original Suzuki heated grips for this bike, and Oxford have served well in the past on previous bikes (when I remembered to turn them off)

Also, anyone got a good place to get original set of grips from?

Any help gratefully accepted

Cheers

Amos. :ty:

Sorry, another question.... I have found some originals on ebay but for a K4 model, does anyone know if there is any difference or if they will fit my K5?

Thanks  :shrug:

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
Re: Heated Grips Oxford Hot Grips 2013/14
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 10:42:18 »
Whilst not being part of the welcoming committee, welcome anyway.

I had a similar issues with my heated grips not fitting the throttle grip. I ground off the lip and then used Araldite to secure the grip to the tube.

Just make certain the grip is in the correct place first.

Welcome yahda, yahda, yahda.
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline willbo

• crazy is contagious
  • Bike: 2010 dl650x
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 11:22:41 »
I bought Oxford hot grips and they fitted fine once the lip removed. Also one was very slightly larger than the other to fit the throttle tube.

Much better than OEM heated grips and easy to fit using the heated grips plug by the fan
I'm sane, honestly. . . I got a certificate to prove it!

Offline BadBoyBubby

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 13:52:17 »
Thanks for the welcome TLPower and both your replies,

I'll have to have a think about what to do....

I did see in the course of my 'Googling' this issue, mention of this plug for the heated grips.... I'm not sure its really going to be that much easier now as the Oxford ones just come with red & black ring connectors to the battery and that's it now, no wiring in as such, they (allegedly) turn themselves off if the draw is not enough to power them properly.

Cheers.

Offline greywolf

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 14:13:04 »
Trimming the lip and gluing the Oxfords on is the way to go. I never liked the idea of connecting the Oxfords directly to the battery. While newer controllers seem less problematic, the controller is the weakest link of the kit. If you may be adding more electrical accessories, a fuse block that turns on and off with the ignition is the way to go. The blue trigger wire in the picture can go to any orange/green, grey or brown wire on the bike. Avoid Suzuki heated grips. They are crazily expensive and often work poorly.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline willbo

• crazy is contagious
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 14:15:11 »
I considered plugging into the battery but dismissed as I decided on a switched wire, so when the bike is off nothing is drawn.  If u don't fancy the hunt for the plug, maybe try a easternbeaver relay kit. I have one for my pdoiler chain lube. Works a treat, fitted in a few mins and simple to remove for your next or other bikes

Offline EireSkull

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 14:46:21 »
I just got the Suzuki heated grips and fitted them, no good they have a mind off their own. They only seem to work when I'm driving fast and not at idle?
I'm going to get the Oxford ones.

Offline willbo

• crazy is contagious
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 18:04:47 »
Quote from: "EireSkull"
I just got the Suzuki heated grips and fitted them, no good they have a mind off their own. They only seem to work when I'm driving fast and not at idle?
I'm going to get the Oxford ones.

I ditched my oem grips after one winter. they were awfull, worst grips I've had. hotgrips much better. of course, they may be other makes just as good out there but il stick to hotgrips.

as a bonus, they can be replaced individually. say the controller goes? simple, get a replacement, no need to remove grips. say u drop your bike and damage the throttle grip , buy a throttle grip one only. I like that, saves hassle

Offline BadBoyBubby

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 17:27:44 »
Thanks for all the info & advice

Yeah.....OK, I'll knock the OEM grips on the head then & maybe I'll look at a way of fitting the Oxford ones.
I know they're good as I've had a couple of the older sets on other bikes, they just fitted better is all.

Thanks again everyone.