Author Topic: New Bike Lift and Wheel Chock  (Read 1656 times)

Offline Soapy

New Bike Lift and Wheel Chock
« on: December 08, 2013, 15:25:16 »
Decided to spare my knees and bought myself a bike lift for Xmas. The Glee fits on alright and I can use the centre stand. But it's not so simple when trying to put the Z1000 on it. Not quite wide enough for the bike with sidestand. So had a brainwave and bought a wheel chock and fitted it to my lift (need a new set of HSS drills worn out my set, anybody recommend quality drill bits). Now I can wheel the Z1000 into it and it holds the bike well enough. Will need to strap it down if doing any major work. Would like to be able to use my Oxford rear paddock stand but I don't have enough width on the lift for it. So will be buying another one with a narrower wheelbase.

Offline geekay

Re: New Bike Lift and Wheel Chock
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 18:42:12 »
these look good - how does it go from 'flat' to 'up' if that makes sense?
nice garage too.

Offline ziggy

• Bike: DL1000 L4, Vespa 300 GTV
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 19:25:00 »
I would always fasten down the ramp with masonry anchors. I use a paddock stand on bikes I work on that do not have a centre stand.

:)
Do it today as there may not be a tomorrow.

Live in Rothley, Leicestershire.

Offline Soapy

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 19:48:27 »
Hi geekay, The lift goes upwards and backwards. It takes about 30 pumps to get full extension. There is a square drive on the side where you put a foot operated arm, this operates a hydraulic ram. There is also a bar which slips through two holes at the front for safety.
ziggy, there are a couple of feet at the front which can be used to lift the front wheels off the deck to stop it moving. I found the first half a dozen pumps the table top wobbles side to side ever so slightly but after that it's pretty solid. It weighs over 200lbs and I think it would take quite a bit to knock it over.

Offline geekay

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 19:57:28 »
ah - thanks for those photos - I can see the hydraulic in those, looks a little like a side mounted bottle jack is that the sort of thing?

How stable is it when upright with a bike on top - does it wobble side-to-side at all?

Love the Kwack too - is it a Z1000? -  I have a ZX6RB1H of similar-ish vintage makes a good accompaniment to the v-strom.

Offline greywolf

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 20:07:11 »
It looks a lot like mine. A ride in chock makes a huge difference for the better.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 21:54:26 »
I like the yellow paint on the floor, did you use something job specific or just some gloss you has left/found cheap?
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Soapy

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 22:32:41 »
Juvecu, I exchanged a set of Halfords rachet ring comby spanners (I had a spare set) for 10 litres of Spencer Floor Paint (expensive stuff). Deal done in the local pub. Bit of a pain, took quite a time to dry. I put my bikes at one end and painted 1/2, let it dry overnight and then moved everything over and did the 2nd half. I picked yellow because it's a damn sight easier to see dropped washers etc. I try and use side stand plates but occasionally I forget and scrape the paint.

Offline Soapy

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2013, 22:36:10 »
Quote from: "geekay"
ah - thanks for those photos - I can see the hydraulic in those, looks a little like a side mounted bottle jack is that the sort of thing?

How stable is it when upright with a bike on top - does it wobble side-to-side at all?

Love the Kwack too - is it a Z1000? -  I have a ZX6RB1H of similar-ish vintage makes a good accompaniment to the V-Strom.
geekay, it's a 2007 Z1000 with a custom Transformer paint job. I love it but the seat is bloody uncomfortable. My arse and nether regions go numb after about 50 miles so I only go on short blasts.

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2013, 23:07:09 »
I think yellow is a top choice, going to do my garage floor in a similar way when we buy a house (hopefully soon.)
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog