Author Topic: Holts Motorcycle Temporary Tyre Repair  (Read 958 times)

Offline krisv

• Bike: DL650 K5
Holts Motorcycle Temporary Tyre Repair
« on: October 17, 2013, 22:27:38 »
Hi Chaps,

As I took the bike off the stand this morning to head to work, noticed the rear tyre went flat... Parked it back up again and took the car. Came back in the evening, pumped up the tyre and noticed a nail in the tyre. Since my rear tyre is ready to be replaced ( I have it booked in for tomorrow ), I called up the tyre place and asked them if it would be OK to use a sealant. They asked me to carry on so that I can ride the bike to them.

Used Holts motorcycle temporary tyre repair and followed all instructions. Took the bike for a 7 mile ride at 30 mph.. Seems to be holding pressure without much problem...

Question is, the roads I have to take to work involve 60 mph single carriage ways (15 miles from home)... Is it OK to take it to speed or should I hold back to 40 to 50 mph??

Cheers,
Kris

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
Holts Motorcycle Temporary Tyre Repair
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 22:43:46 »
Tough call for anyone here to answer, I doubt anyone will say it'll be fine.

I will say this though, it's unlikely to explode, worst case it just loses pressure slowly, which you'll notice long before it becomes dangerous. People ride with nails in their tyres for thousands of miles and don't even know as they don't check and the tyre can still be airtight with a smooth nail in it.

I have a mate who rode his GSXR600 for ages with a nail in the tyre, it wasn't letting any air out as we checked but if you manipulated it within the tyre you could hear air escaping, if he'd have taken it out it would need repairing, so he left it in and ran it until he sold the bike, with the nail still in the tyre.

Offline krisv

Re: Holts Motorcycle Temporary Tyre Repair
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 22:53:18 »
lol... Thanks Jacko... I only need to get to work tomorrow. I have all the tools in the world there to remove the wheel and motorcycle dealer is just a mile away.. I already packed my foot pump in my bag and told my boss that I might be a bit late tomorrow if I have to stop and pump up the tyre...

Offline Andy M

• Bike: Hurley-Pugh Empire Wildebeeste Manx Thruxton
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 06:44:20 »
The usual hassles with spray cans are either they just don't work or the tyre fitter quotes the ethereal beings act ( elven safety mate) and refuses to touch it. If you have both covered just go for it, safer with the traffic flow than trying to set some artificial pace of your own. 50 rather than 70 probably is safer if the thing does pop.

Mushroom plug kits are by far the best solution. The fix usually lasts the life of the tyre.

Andy

Offline krisv

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 08:39:01 »
Cheers Andy... Got up early (at a time when there would not be much traffic down the road). Waited for a truck at the lay-by and followed it all the way on the 60 mph sections at 40 mph (Asda trucks don't exceed that speed, which is usually annoying but was a blessing in disguise today. Holts did work OK, but the puncture size has to be small.. I did carry a foot pump along in case I needed to pump it up... The tyre is squared off worn, and handles quite bad when wet. It is going to the bin anyway.. It was just the matter of getting it done today. Otherwise I would have to wait for a week to get the tyre replaced...