Author Topic: Winter Shutdown Idea  (Read 4532 times)

Offline VStromDL1000Rick

Re: Winter Shutdown Idea
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2013, 08:47:15 »
woohoo,

Parts arrived yesterday and just the chain and sprockets to come today, oh and the new crankcase bung with seal.
so far the job has been good, except for the mishap with the crankcase bung, but that was ridiculously tight so was Going to happen, still cheap fix so all is well.
all cleaned and parts and bits boxed and labelled ready for rebuild this weekend. will take pictures of the old girl going back together and see if the before and after shots actually show how much love and work is going into this ole beast. really looking forward to getting her back on the road now and am determined to be riding all winter. just need to make sure I don't get too excited and miss something when putting her back together.
so far I've spent the grand total of around 280 squids on parts and somewhere round 50 squids on things like paint, wd40 and metal and stuff. so with doing it all myself I thingk I may have saved myself a tidy amount and learnt a few things along the way.
she will be good to get back on and I'm looking forward to taking her down south to see me boys.

thanks again for all the help and I will be sure to list the jobs I've done so that newbies can come on here and see its better with your own two hands and the help of experts.

roll on the weekend..... :lala:
'You sort of start thinking anything's possible if you've got enough nerve'
"V are family"

Offline VStromDL1000Rick

« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2013, 19:30:52 »
wll the old girl is back together and with the extras look s the business now, all I'm waiting for now is my seat cover and I will get a local upholsterer to do he honours with that, £25 to fit is a bargain I think and my new mirrors as I think I'm going to follow the advise of everone on here, the new screen has improved the buffeting but I think it could be futher improved with that change too. pictures of that to come but for now here she is looking all pretty and stuff.

more pics to come of the finished product. with a list of everything I did so that all newbies that are spanner shy can say "well he managed" might just help people save some cash and learn something about there machines eh.

couldn't of got it done without the help of all that helped so  :ty:
"V are family"

Offline geekay

« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2013, 23:53:59 »
Looking clean. Did you do the carbon wrap yourself?

Offline VStromDL1000Rick

« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2013, 10:04:45 »
Yeah first attempt, the sides came out really good but the dials need a rethink, tried to do the whole dash but it's an absolute nightmare to try unless you got someone else to hold the heat gun while you stretch, it was the cheaper stuff black 4d of fleabay but it's really good anyway, just haven't got the skills to do everything yet so I thought I'd go for highlighted areas instead.

So the dash behind the screen has got done along with tank side pods and dials, also did my two top vents and the rear air flow piece on my Caberg VRR so I blend to the bike  :)

Had to reign myself in before I went mad and wrapped everything. It's addictive but on slightly curved and flattish areas it's dead easy and quite satisfying to use, I think it adds a lot especially as the side pods were showing signs of trouser rub  :shy:
"V are family"

Offline VStromDL1000Rick

« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2013, 11:18:11 »
Hello again,

Here is a list of all things that I have currently done and want to do to my Vee, it is being posted as I wanted to show that even a novice like me can play around with the bike , with guidance from here and the manual.
so that even the most scared of people may have a little more faith in their own abilities, as I am an idiot and can manage this so it should bring relief to others for sure.

List of things done,

Stripped down and cleaned frames and all pieces removed.
Checked valve clearances and fitted new shims in rear cylinder ( exhaust )
Fitted new rocker gaskets, spark plugs and gaskets, new rocker cover bolt gaskets
Fitted new crank case bung and seal after tearing the other to shreads
Tested and cleaned all connections around radiator
fitted homemade radiator grill ( cheap and cheerful but protects )
Repainted the oil radiator grill.
Repainted the centre stand and side stand
Changed the front wheel and rear wheel bearings plus sprocket carrier bearing.
Fitted New upgraded sprockets and chain.
Fitted New cush rubbers
Fitted New rear brake pads
Fitted gear selector indicator
Fitted New bulbs all round
Fitted New foot peg rubbers
Refitted the right bar end weight properly as it kept working undone
Resealed exhaust joints
Cleaned and reprinted  tyres
Cleaned and redressed clutch release mechanism
Carbon wrapped side tank/thigh pods
Carbon wrapped detailing on dash (rings and button plate)
Carbon wrapped front shelf behind screen
Fitted new mra vario screen
Reprinted Suzuki logo to right engine cover
Painted turn markers on all torqued bolts
Poured in some New oil and fitted new filter
Flushed and added New coolant
Gave her a Good clean and polish

Things to do this weekend,
Fit day lights to front of bike and wire in to hot lead with accompanying switch.
Fit new seat cover
Fit new mirrors as advised on this ere forum
Look at carbon Wrapping the panniers due to damaging one  from scraping bin in garage
Look at better securing the bike when in the garage at night, land anchor type thingy
Look at same anchor deal for the front drive
Look at fitting an extra indictor led as I don’t notice the green one somehow when I accidently leave them on (once in a blue moon but bothers me)
Lastly but most importantly, ADD THE VSTROM.CO.UK STICKERS to my baby.

now get out there and feckle peoples... :thumb:  :fix:  lol
"V are family"

Offline StromGeeza

• Global Moderator
  • Bike: just scoots now
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2013, 21:12:47 »
Quote from: "VStromDL1000Rick"

Lastly but most importantly, ADD THE VSTROM.CO.UK STICKERS to my baby.

now get out there and feckle peoples... :thumb:  :fix:  ::):

Now that's truly added value!

Well done that fella!

:thumb: