Author Topic: high pitched noise in the tank area?!  (Read 1294 times)

Offline PaulDes13

high pitched noise in the tank area?!
« on: October 11, 2013, 13:10:53 »
Hi everyone,

I recently bought a Vee K3, which I am very happy with. It runs great, but I noticed a constant high pitched noise in the tank vicinity. It sounds like the noise that makes the fuel pump when you turn the ignition on.
I also noticed that the noise changes intensity with the indicators/headlights/hazard lights.

I couldn't find anything on this forum, but found a bloke with the same problem on the SV forum. He ended up replacing the whole fuel pump.

Does any of you had this issue? How did you sort it out?

Any help greatly appreciated!
Thanks.

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
Re: high pitched noise in the tank area?!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 15:58:46 »
Almost certainly the fuel pump. Does it go off after about five seconds if you don't start the engine? Even then there is still a high pitched noise, but much softer. I was surprised how noisy mine was when I first got the bike but it hasn't got any worse in the five years I've owned it. If the bike is running OK I wouldn't worry about it. Just get yourself some ear plugs! There are new pumps available for about £30 on Ebay. Wouldn't like to hazard a guess to their quality though...

Offline PaulDes13

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 16:21:22 »
Quote from: "hookie"
Almost certainly the fuel pump. Does it go off after about five seconds if you don't start the engine? Even then there is still a high pitched noise, but much softer. I was surprised how noisy mine was when I first got the bike but it hasn't got any worse in the five years I've owned it. If the bike is running OK I wouldn't worry about it. Just get yourself some ear plugs! There are new pumps available for about £30 on Ebay. Wouldn't like to hazard a guess to their quality though...

Thanks for your reply it's a bit reassuring to know that yours is still running without problems for 5 years.

I didn't notice any noise after the 3-5 seconds at the ignition. I'll pay closer attention when I'll start it tomorrow.

I've done more research this afternoon, and it seems that it is the high pressure filter being dirty causing this problem, the filter is very unfortunately unserviceable since it is enclosed in a sealed plastic cover... An OEM filter cost around £250...

I'm thinking of doing the fuel filter bypass mod now, it shoudlnt cost more than £50 just need to find the time really!

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 16:22:04 »
The pump runs constantly to keep pressure in the fuel system, but spins at a slower speed once primed after ingition on.
The fuel cools the pump- that's why its not a good idea to run the fuel low all the time with the stroms at it will over heat the pump and shorten its life span... the strom will not run without the pump.

Ride Coordinator