Author Topic: KLV Rev Counter Intermittant Problem  (Read 604 times)

Offline Keith_A

KLV Rev Counter Intermittant Problem
« on: September 27, 2013, 21:49:24 »
Hi all,

I've had a quick look around & can't find the answer & know someone on here will know the answer off the top of their head!

So, my KLV1000 rev counter needle every now & then starts to flick up & down randomly & has now occasionally started to stop working completely. I am guessing this is some kind of sensor problem?

I know there is a sensor on the end of the gearbox output shaft where the front sprocket attaches, but am I right in assuming this is for the speedometer?....Actually, it would make sense that this is for the rev counter....I think I have answered my own question....

Can someone just confirm please that this IS the sensor I should be looking at?  :ty:

Cheers, Keith A

Offline greywolf

Re: KLV Rev Counter Intermittant Problem
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 22:05:36 »
The rev counter gets its signal from the ECU. Check the connections on the brown/black wire between the two.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline VStromDL1000Rick

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 09:27:57 »
had this exact same problem yesterday when I was sticking my girl back together. I was in the middle of fitting the gipro gear indicator I bought and thought I had done something wrong.

symptoms.

turn key to first stage and ignition is OK , then if I touched a connector it started to do the self check over and over again and was cutting in and out.

turns out it was the loom connector for the dash as I had removed it all for deep cleaning.
I found it to be the larger more squarer looking block inside the left front fairing. luckily I had this all off as she was being built back up.
I cleaned the connectors and put some grease on the contacts, had to slightly ( and I mean slightly) twist the prongs inside the connector housing so that they fit snug again.
ensure I got a good fit when going back together and did several ( maybe 30 times) checks and wiggles of the connector to see if the problem was gone and hay presto, done.

could probably do with a new connector on mine as I man handled it a bit and its a little scrappy but as I work in the electronics industry I could probably get something to work better.

so, all you need to do is make sure connections are clean and a good fit, plus don't mess with connections while the ignition is on, not until you really think you have sorted the problem out, just in case.

hope this helps. :)
'You sort of start thinking anything's possible if you've got enough nerve'
"V are family"

Offline VStromDL1000Rick

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 09:46:42 »
just remembered I had a picture of the connector so here it is , well on my bike anyway.

'You sort of start thinking anything's possible if you've got enough nerve'
"V are family"