Author Topic: Rear Preload Help  (Read 621 times)

Offline G2ADY

Rear Preload Help
« on: September 29, 2013, 16:06:10 »
Hi all,

I've been struggling with preload on my glee for a while, I wondered if anyone could shed any light on the problem.

Most of my riding is solo, I have only a 29" inside leg and so I've fitted the lower dogbones and dropped the front forks by the same amount. All was good.

The rear preload seems to have a range of 30 clicks, After lowering the bike I increased to the preload by 10 clicks, so, if you can imagine all the turns anti clockwise is 0 and all the turns clockwise is 30 it means I was on around 25 clicks. Riding solo it seemed fine however when with a pillion it just seems unstable at low speed. When I stop at a junction or if I'm pulling away slowly it feels wobbly at the front end.

Now I know this goes against convention but if I reduce the rear preload to around 10 clicks from the 0 position the bike feels fine when 2 up.

Any thoughts?

Steve

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 22:44:32 »
Sounds like you may have dropped the front end too much, softening off the rear preload then balanced the bike better with a pillion as the rear will be lower. Try lifting the front a few mm and adding the troublesome rear preload setting and see if it's better.

I have my rear preload wound up to max with myself and luggage, I'm 15 stone. I find any less is too soft, I've wound the front right up to nearly max too. I soften it off by one and a half turns for no luggage. I find this high preload makes the bike more stable through fast bends and less prone to squat on exit.

It doesn't giving me anywhere to go with a pillion though. Maybe I need a stiffer spring.