Author Topic: Chains & Sprockets  (Read 846 times)

Offline PHIL FAT

Chains & Sprockets
« on: August 27, 2013, 12:22:38 »
anyone any recomedation for new chain and sprockets also the difference between more teeth or less teeth on the sprockets any help would be appreciated
Too Old To Die Young

Offline frez

Re: Chains & Sprockets
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 13:05:39 »
I got a DID chain and sprocket kit from wemoto last time. You can probably save a few quid by buying them separately on ebay. Get an x-ring DID chain, and JT, Sunstar or Rethnal steel sprockets. Do not get aluminium sprockets, the weight saving is not worth it and they wear out quickly.

As far as teeth go:

Rear More Teeth, or Front Less Teeth = Faster Acceleration, More Revs for a Given Speed, lower top speed

Rear Less Teeth, or Front More Teeth = Slower Acceleration, Less Revs for a Given Speed, in theory a higher top speed but you will run out of power first, also in theory a better fuel economy but in practice at speeds over 30mph the effect is negligible due to wind resistance being a far bigger factor
Now on a Super Tenere having put 64k miles on a 2011 DL650

Offline DesertStrom

• Bike: DL650 K9, Triumph Street Scrambler
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 13:36:15 »
1 tooth up on the front drops the revs about 500 - 600 in top gear, just tried it on mine on a trip to Germany, found it to be much better when doing 75+  :thumb:

Offline greywolf

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 14:11:22 »
I tried going to 16T front from the stock 15T once. The lower revs at speed was practically unnoticeable but the need to downshift more for power was irritating. Other may people love it but it's not for me. Some people like a 14T as it makes the bike more lively. It's an individual choice. Front sprockets are inexpensive enough to make testing an option.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 22:41:34 »
+1 for using a DID x-ring chain and JT/SunStar/Renthal sprockets. I would add Talon sprockets to that list and agree with avoiding aluminium alloy sprockets. Also, don't think that Renthal chains are good because the sprockets are good, Renthal chains are shit so avoid them like the plague.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Paul Dowe

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 01:45:03 »
Buy the DID X ring chain in gold top chain with Renthal ultralight front sprocket with repeat with Renthal bronze alloy rear sprocket. I have a 11 year old 1200 bandit had from new original chain and sprockets were shagged in 15000 miles then fitted the above, bike has now 33000 miles on and there is no sign of wear in the alloy rear sprocket or Chain. When first fitted adjusted chain after 300 miles have adjusted once since and I wheelie this in 2nd up to around 110 this bike is thrashed as hard as a fizzy. The secret is keep it clean Motul chain lube very light coat every 2 to 3 hundred miles too much lube acts like grinding paste so remember heavy lubing kills chains as it attracts grit. My mate bought his 1200 bandit same day had 3 std kits in the same mileage was due its fourth kit until bike was stolen. So Buy the top chain that DID make and you will save in the long run and don't believe that renthal alloy sprockets wear out faster because they don't. My Glee will have the same kit when required and nothing else the proof in in the pudding. That kit has also toured all of Scotland in rain 2 times, south of France, portugal, rome, andorra two up with givi 55ltr and givi e41s and 30 ltr tank bag all loaded to the hilt, so 18000 miles and two adjustment I think looking at this set up it will at lease do half again B and C express are a good company to deal with.

Offline PHIL FAT

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 18:31:58 »
thanks for all the help DID chain and sprockets orderd :thumb:  :ty:
Too Old To Die Young