Author Topic: Another GPS question  (Read 4511 times)

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
Re: Another GPS question
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2013, 08:03:46 »
I wouldn't leave the socket there, it's not waterproof in use. I have mine under the seat near the tank and run the Sat Nav power cable up to the mount on the bars, I feed it through by the side of the tank out of the way. To cut power I just unplug the socket. It's not ideal but it was only supposed to be temporary, 4 years ago... :)

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2013, 08:48:52 »
+1 on what Jacko said about socket position. Someone (I think Piglumps?) has just cable-tied the socket well out of the way in the front fairing, where its accessible, protected from the elements and any accidental knocks and vibration, and almost all cables are neatly hidden within the fairing. It's closer to the sat-nav, too. :shrug: I wish I'd done that instead of drilling a big hole in the black plastic !
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2013, 13:22:58 »
Or flip it so the hole faces rearwards so that if it rains it doesn't blow water into it (otherwise simple 12V stuff are pretty good at handling wet.) Personally I'd extend the wire it so I can mount it where I want it.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline temporaryescapee

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2013, 21:17:56 »
OK thanks - I'll have a rethink.  As I am off Fri eve I am thinking the quickest fix is to get a long Sat Nav cable and run it to the socket under the seat.  I am still not sure how to route that - how do I get it from the Sat Nav to the side panel when I currently have the wire behind?

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2013, 22:17:21 »
I ran my wire for my 12V socket along the existing loom, just cable tied it in a few places.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)

Offline Jacko

« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2013, 23:02:31 »
Just poke it through somewhere out of the way, as long as it doesn't snag anything it's fine.

Offline temporaryescapee

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2013, 20:05:26 »
That's good to know - I was paranoid that I would melt it on something or worse if I didn't route it a specific way.  I have just ordered a 1.8m cable to run from the Sat Nav to the seat.  Should be with me by wed.  Assuming all is OK I will wire this back to under the seat.  I did try and follow the loom with my initial attempt but from the clearance I created by lifting to tank it wasn't clear to me exactly where it went - I will look again and cable tie/tape to this if I can.

If this plan runs awry as a fall back I will reverse the socket as Juv suggests, wrap the whole thing in duct tape and pray it doesn't rain!

Offline Jacko

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2013, 21:08:56 »
Nothing stopping you running it along the outside of the frame if you're worried about it melting, it's just a cable, it needs to get from A to B, tuck it under the tank beside the frame or something.

Keep it simple. ;)

Offline geekay

« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2013, 21:11:04 »
just run it up the side - under the removable black plastic panel and then you should be able to feel it in the opening in the 'dashboard' where the forks are (not the right term, but hopefully know what I mean) - just pass it any od way as long as it is concealed and does't jam anything.

Offline temporaryescapee

Re: Another GPS question (confessions of the mechanically bl
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2013, 19:30:40 »
OK, so got the bike out this morning and had another look at cable options.   I have no tips for the mechanically gifted but if you are a mechanical 'blonde' like me my tip is look at your options in the light (not in your dark garage at 10pm).  Hello presto I could see a lovely gap down the frame to run my cable as per suggestions above.  Here's the position now:

What is this bar?  :shrug:

Cable sitting on top of spar behind panel - just about reaches so can clip into it from under the seat

Offline geekay

« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2013, 21:23:39 »
good - looks like an excellent route - the location of the plug should get minimal water when you are moving.

The "bar" - I'm not 100% but if your bike is an ABS model, then that is a brake line back to the ABS pump (which is located kind of just behind the rear shock. Think that's what it is.

Offline temporaryescapee

« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2013, 22:08:12 »
Thanks

It's a Vee so no ABS.  I've skimmed through the obvious bits of the workshop manual and am none the wiser.

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2013, 23:10:19 »
The bar is a bracket that straddles your frame. Each side it goes down a bit and there is a round rubber that goes on the end. Your tank has two 'cup' brackets that slots onto the rubbers to hold the front of the tank and you just bolt the rear of the tank down. You can see one side of it top left of the fork in this picture.

Offline temporaryescapee

« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2013, 23:16:00 »
Thanks Juvecu, just wanted to make sure I wasn't cable tying to anything that could be problematic so that sounds fine.  

I suspect you are looking forward to getting your Wee back on the road now it is all coming together.

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2013, 23:22:25 »
Very much so, but I know it's still going to take longer than I'd planned. I have no real rush with it though, I have another bike that's fine for my very long 26 mile daily commute.

:sarc: