Author Topic: Mods for commuting  (Read 5008 times)

Offline neltek

• Bike: V-Strom 650 GT 2010
Re: Mods for commuting
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2013, 12:00:58 »
Quote from: "biglad"
The bashplate will protect the underside but maybe ott for my use??

Reasons for bashplate - my reason is outlined in the following thread:
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=10291
V-Strom 650 GT

ex:
SV650 K6
MZ301
Gilera DNA

Offline biglad

• Bike: DL650 L3
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2013, 14:06:50 »
I've just gone with the scottoiler. Hopefully it'll be OK. All these bits and bobs get fitted in 5 weeks time when it goes in for the first service. Just need to get some miles on the bike though.

Offline neltek

• Bike: V-Strom 650 GT 2010
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2013, 14:46:43 »
In general I've always used a scottoiler - refitted from my SV650 to the V-Strom

No idea about the PD Oiler - but having one on at all seems a good idea

Heated grips are nice on a cold day

My main use is a week around Europe each year

As I have used a MZ Saxon Tour 301 2-stroke before along with a naked SV650 - I tend to not have a view that many mods are NEEDED - just that they are nice to have
V-Strom 650 GT

ex:
SV650 K6
MZ301
Gilera DNA

Offline Freelander

« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2013, 23:06:36 »
Puncturesafe in the tyres and a mudflap on the end of the mudguard extenda. and either a shock sock or hugger.

Which muffs fit the WeeStrom? I tried some Oxford ones but they weren't going to work

Offline temporaryescapee

« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2013, 09:30:06 »
Quote from: "loggamatt"
My Scottoiler was really easy to fit... I went down to my local dealer, said "please fit this Scottoiler," gave him some money and that was all there was to it. Didn't even get my hands dirty!

Oh, wait... you wanted a non-lazy person to answer?  :grin:

lol

Offline Andy M

• Bike: Hurley-Pugh Empire Wildebeeste Manx Thruxton
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2013, 14:40:32 »
Quote from: "Freelander"
Puncturesafe rk

Know your enemy if considering this stuff. It will seal round the object that made the hole. The nail can then work open so tyre goes down, runs hotter, gets a hole over the sealants limit etc. The gloop then prevents the adhesive with string repairs working. Tyre fitters hate it, so no way will you convince one to wash the stuff out and fit an internal plug, it's a new tyre.

I have used it on bikes so small or short of space that even a string repair kit was a pita to carry. It works within the limits described. With the wee though it is so easy to carry an expanding mushroom kit (a near permanent repair) I can't see why I would revert to a pretty limited solution.

I you do have a flat that's to bad for a plug, can't get tyres and end up with a tube in a TL tyre, then I'd fill it with ultra seal as the only roadside solution. ( This is another trick of the Bavarian B*****ds, f650's have TL tyres on spoked rims. Can't change a tube without a breaker, can't plug from the outside)

Andy