Author Topic: iPhone / Sat Nav / Bluetooth Suggestions  (Read 3858 times)

Offline Gasman1975

Re: iPhone / Sat Nav / Bluetooth Suggestions
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2013, 18:57:07 »
I will try and add photos at the weekend when get back from camping holiday in Northumberland (without the wee unfortunately)
Andy

Stressed spelt backwards is desserts so its no wonder I eat when fed up

Proud owner of 08 Wee, an 03 Triumph Speedmaster & a 1991 GL1500 Goldwing Interstate

Offline kissofdeath

• Bike: Veek
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2013, 20:30:09 »

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2013, 22:26:40 »
The SW-Motech one for the Glee is part no GPS.05.646.102. found here http://www.motohaus.com/cgi-bin/sh00000 ... 5_2eMounts £57.94... Not cheap, however is quick release so barely noticeable when not in use. May order one from Getgeared and get 10% forum discount

Offline geekay

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2013, 18:30:27 »
I've been a busy boy today!

Here's one I made for myself:

it's 2mm thick alloy strip which 'just' (with a bit of a squeeze) fit in between the screen bracket and the fairing - sticks up the top and bends over before it is bolted to a 22mm o/d mild steel tube.

The plastic bit is the Givi sat-nave mount bracket - I was just trying it for size. I've taken it off again and given it a coat of black hammerite (smooth, semi-gloss finish).

I'll fit it tomorrow and get another picture - I'm a little worried that it will vibrate an awful lot when moving, but I can try it and see how I get on (I have a plan for a small 'brace' if it does...)

Offline geekay

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2013, 11:41:07 »
quick follow-up - here it is painted and a single wrap of eletrical tape (to give the Givi mount clamp something to 'bite' into):

inside Givi Airflow screen:

Power is coming from the same location - on a test ride, I found that bumps in the road actually made it bounce a little too much - so I bent the aluminium arms some more and then basically wedged some rubber discs under the Givi mount bracket to provide pressure from the top of the clocks - the 'spring' in the aluminium is now kept in check and you cannot see the rubber - its now very secure, the only play or 'spring' in the Givi quick release mount itself, which was there beforehand on the bars and doesn't interfere on anythig but the bumpiest roads.

Quite pleased - it's a much better location than the bars - also its better protected as it nestles inside the screen so out of rain while moving.
I was worried that there may be an effect on the aero properties of the screen - 1 because the aluminium brackets change the angle anf position of the screen (it's 2mm further out at the bottom and slightly more out at the top of the bracket which changes the angle ever so slightly) and also 2 because the Sat Nav might have had an effect on airflow under the screen by being in the way - but having tested it on the motorway yesterday, I needn't have worried, it made no difference at all!

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2013, 12:27:54 »
Nice cheap solution, like it.

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2013, 21:45:01 »
My Sat Nav is also fitted up there and I get more turbulence when I have it on then without it. Nothing too serious or that would stop me from riding far, but I am aware of it.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Descolada

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2013, 12:15:40 »
Yep, I think that's going to be my position of choice, I just need to make the bracket and get it mounted. That way I don't have to take my eyes too far off the road in order to check the GPS.

Offline geekay

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2013, 18:58:48 »
Quote from: "Juvecu"
My Sat Nav is also fitted up there and I get more turbulence when I have it on then without it. Nothing too serious or that would stop me from riding far, but I am aware of it.

obviously, not sure where yours is mounted -but if you look at mine - it sticks out quite far, that is, the bulk of the unit is much closer to me than the clocks are - its not really filling any space / gaps in the under-screen - maybe this is the difference?

g