Author Topic: New Bike  (Read 847 times)

Offline DOG

New Bike
« on: August 23, 2013, 19:58:55 »
After a fair amount of looking at second hand bikes, negotiating and in general becoming more and more frustrated I eventually took the plunge and had a test ride on a Glee from Shirlaws in Aberdeen. I'd read quite a bit about the various models ( the good and the bad) but I have to say I was massively impressed with the Glee. Smooth, more than quick enough for a small engine, comfortable, economical, almost vibration free, good handling - up to a point, no sore bum, stable both at slow speed in the town and decent A road speeds, value for money and they look OK. The down-side is - do I want it enough to justify 3 bikes in the garage ? Yes. New bike, L2 Orange, ordered for delivery next month (next week). Accessory list is modified slightly from the initial wish list, heated grips, hand guards, Scot-oiler, belly pan, centre stand and crash bars. I'm undecided on the taller screen at the moment and I'll try to persevere with the original equipment although the situation might change. At some point, probably sooner than later, it'll be fitted with rails and top plate for Givi luggage. Looks like there is now an '04 Deauville for sale.

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
Re: New Bike
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 20:18:43 »
Excellent choice sir. They do tend to impress on the test ride.

Offline Soapy

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 20:26:19 »
Hi Dog. Was it you on the Demo this afternoon. When I phoned enquiring about a test ride they told me it was out. That's why I've booked it for tomorrow. Did you manage to get any discount on the price or the accessories. Forewarned is forearmed. Glad to see you liked it enough to buy one. Hopefully I'll be in the same position tomorrow.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 21:49:49 »
Good choice mate.
Had a 07 nt700 deauville for a while. Every much underrated bike. I take it your 04 is a 650. If I had the money mate id make you an offer but tue mrs won't let me have a 3rd bike.

Ride Coordinator

Offline biglad

• Bike: DL650 L3
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 22:34:10 »
When I was looking for a bike to replace my ageing BMW R100R for my 35 mile per day year round commute I settled on a middleweight adventure bike.

I test rode Honda's NC700X which was fine and I'm sure would suit some people but I just found it a touch on the unexciting side. I really quite liked the Versys 650. Good engine, though it needed the revs kept above 2.5k or it was a bit lumpy. Not a problem for most riders but the BMW would run at idle and pull( though not particularly hard to be honest) to the redline.

I bought my new glee strom from cupar motorcycles ( 50miles from me). I really like them. Friendly blokes and yes, they have a business to run, but they seem to care. They have followed all their promises to me. I bought my bike on the Saturday, drove over and paid my money, and it was delivered to my house on the Monday night when I got home from work. Its going in tomorrow for its first service ( at 800 miles) and to have some accessories fitted. Nothing exciting.....crash bars, mudguard extender, centrestand, hugger, scottoiler etc. I havent dealt with Shirlaws but they have been around forever.

I think the glee strom is comfy, I fixed the screen issues with 3 tap washers each side. I did fit bar risers (up and back) and they really help. My economy is 65mpg. I would choose this and the performance over the extra 10-15 mpg from the Honda. I ran mine in as per instructions and have not had the need to rev over 7.5k. Half my run is through traffic and the other half lets me stretch the legs a wee bit.

Summary....its a comfy, quick enough, cheap to run and insure bike.

Offline DOG

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 20:17:28 »
Yes, it was me.
Bike was well discounted from RRP, almost identical to Cupar Bikes.
Accessories were cost price, as far as I'm told, although fitting was included in the price after a bit of negotiation.
A couple of other small sweeteners were agreed purely to clinch the deal. I'm happy although others may have bargained harder but I doubt it.
Hope everything goes well.
George

Offline DOG

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 20:20:59 »
Quote from: "mr_diver"
Good choice mate.
Had a 07 nt700 deauville for a while. Every much underrated bike. I take it your 04 is a 650. If I had the money mate id make you an offer but tue mrs won't let me have a 3rd bike.

I had the Deauville with me at work today (bike training) and one of the trainees took a fancy to it so the bike may be finding a new home sooner than expected.

Offline Descolada

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 21:32:25 »
Well done that man! The more V-Strom's the merrier up in this area. I will keep an eye out for you.

Offline DOG

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 21:34:16 »
I'll be sure to let everyone know when it arrives. No doubt I'll be looking for additional accessories.