Author Topic: Removing a cat 1 alarm bike will not run HELP!  (Read 4163 times)

Offline Bazzgsxr

Removing a cat 1 alarm bike will not run HELP!
« on: July 31, 2013, 21:31:15 »
Help needed please!
After weeks of problems with a Acumen cat 1 alarm, I set about removing it. All wiring has now been removed and reconnected except for an orange and green wire coming out of ecu. Having connected it back into the harness bike will not run and shows F1 which returns within seconds of us clearing it. We have checked wiring diagrams and cannot trace this orange and green?

When we reconnect it to an egsisting orange and green bike fuels and everything works except for F1 and will not run. When code is cleared we see -C00 suggesting all is going to be OK but within a second or two we are back to the F1 fault

Please can anyone help? We are stuck

Cheers Bazz.      ###

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
Re: Removing a cat 1 alarm bike will not run HELP!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 21:35:55 »
Which year model? :shrug:

Is it an orange wire with a green tracer?

Which C code to you get when F1 light is on (before you clear it)?
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Bazzgsxr

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 21:40:29 »
Bike is a 54 plate DL1000  K3

Yes it is orange with a green tracer, thanks

No C code before we clear it. Display just says CHECK

Alam is a Acumen serial number 005744
Acumen-electronics.co.uk

Thanks

Bazz

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 21:55:53 »
The bike will says CHECK if all conditions weren't met for it to be started. The things you need to check are:

- the kill switch in the run position
- the clutch switch engaged (pull the clutch in)
- bike in neutral if side stand is down/side stand up if bike is in gear

Easiest way is to put the bike in neutral, kick the side stand up, make sure the kill switch is in the run position and pull the clutch in. You should hear the fuel pump spin up and CHECK will go away. You should then be able to start it with the button. If you still have CHECK then it's related to one of those safety circuits.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 22:03:15 »
I checked the wiring diagram and I can't see an Orange wire with a green racer, I might be missing it or reading the colour codes wrong.

Can you see which pin the orange and green is coming from on the ECU?

Offline Bazzgsxr

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 22:10:04 »
Thanks for your reply. We have checked all pre-start items you mention and she fuels and spins over as we press start button but that's it. She will not run and F1 is flashing.

It's as though this orange & green wire needs linking somewhere else. Could it need linking to the black with red tracer on the kill switch circuit ?

We cannot find this wire out of ECU on diagram either. But it's there and its factory. We will try and identify the pin and let you know. Thanks

Cheers Bazz.  :shrug:

Offline Bazzgsxr

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 22:11:51 »
Just checked and it's pin 15

Does this help ?

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 22:28:15 »
On the FI system diagram I have the pin 15 shows as orange and white wire. Did you download the PDF service manual for the bike?

Get it here if you haven't: http://www.v-strom.co.uk/downloads/V-St ... p%20K6.pdf

Look on page 515 of 519 of the PDF. Pin 15 is connected to everything I mentioned and then some. Orange wires are normally positives from something. Have you checked for spark?

There is something wrong if FI is flashing, put the link in to get it into dealer mode and see if you can get any Cxx codes. There has to be something if FI is flashing, even if it's briefly showing a fault.

Offline Bazzgsxr

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 22:37:01 »
Thanks for your help. We just did the same and found out our orange and green should be orange and white too. We have linked it in and still have same problem and no C codes.....Bugger!

Will check the rest of the circuit out and post an up date.

Thanks again for your help

Bazz

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 22:42:02 »
Good luck :) I don't know if I can be of much more help with this, I'm more familiar with the older 650.

Greywolf might be along later, he's in the US, the old codger knows a lot about Stroms (much more than I do) and could give you some further pointers.

Offline Bazzgsxr

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 23:17:37 »
Thanks again, I'll keep checking the posts I case somebody can shed some light
I'll also look out for grey wolf

Offline greywolf

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2013, 23:52:58 »
You will get a CHEC if the O/W wire doesn't get power. Somebody changed something if you have an O/G wire to the ECM. The O/W wire gets power from an O/B wire via the kill switch and feeds the coils and fuel pump relay. Check for power on the orange/black and orange/white wires leading to the kill switch. Both should have power if the ignition and kill switch are on. I don't have any experience with alarms on V-Stroms so don't know how they are typically wired. I suspect the O/W wire from the kill switch to the ECM may have been separated and needs to be reconnected.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline frez

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2013, 08:56:14 »
Typically alarms are wired to break two circuits, one to the starter motor and one to either the ignition or fuel pump. I would look at the wires running to the fuel pump relay and starter motor relay.
Now on a Super Tenere having put 64k miles on a 2011 DL650

Offline Bazzgsxr

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2013, 09:50:42 »
SORTED !!!!!
Thanks everybody for your help on this
It turned out to be orange/green wire that I noticed out off the ECU to the orange/green out off the harness that I couldn't find
Stripped everything back and eventually found it  :lala:
Fitted the new alarm so it's all good

So thanks again blokes  :auto-dirtbike:

Offline Andy M

• Bike: Hurley-Pugh Empire Wildebeeste Manx Thruxton
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2013, 14:02:16 »
Quote from: "Bazzgsxr"
SORTED !!!!!
Fitted the new alarm so it's all good

...:

Pardon me asking but FFS why?  :shrug:

No one steals Wee's, Vee's or Glees unless they are 12 years old Chavs. 12 Year old Chavs are defeated by a *****y big lock and chain. The lock and chain will never flaten your battery or go wrong in anything less than a really obvious mechanical way. The lock and chain will not sit there wailing away while you are too far away to do anything and everyone else just sits their and watches the chavs wheel the wailing bike into their van. The lock and chain will give the same tiny (or negative) insurance discount in my experience.

Andy

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2013, 14:20:33 »
I'm with Andy, I wouldn't let anyone near my Glee with an alarm and a load of tools. Electrical systems are complex enough now with regards to fault finding etc. without handing control over to an aftermarket item that's been fitted by someone who doesn't own the bike.

The lads at the dealer breathed a sigh of relief when I said I didn't want an alarm fitting, it seems these things cause more grief than anything else on new bikes, I assume they are then liable for correct operation. Pointless waste of money, and I view them as a negative when looking at buying used, I'd rather not own an alarmed/immobilised bike.

Offline geekay

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2013, 15:48:14 »
Quote from: "Juvecu"
On the FI system diagram I have the pin 15 shows as orange and white wire. Did you download the PDF service manual for the bike?

Get it here if you haven't: http://www.V-Strom.co.uk/downloads/V-St ... p%20K6.pdf

Look on page 515 of 519 of the PDF. Pin 15 is connected to everything I mentioned and then some. Orange wires are normally positives from something. Have you checked for spark?

There is something wrong if FI is flashing, put the link in to get it into dealer mode and see if you can get any Cxx codes. There has to be something if FI is flashing, even if it's briefly showing a fault.

this PDF is a bit handy! - is there one for the 650?

Thanks,

G

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2013, 17:21:03 »
Yep, just check the Downloads section on the main page @ www.v-strom.co.uk

Offline geekay

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2013, 19:31:30 »
aha - yes - that would be the obvious place to look - thanks!

:shy: