Author Topic: advice please, throttle cable replacement  (Read 618 times)

Offline willbo

• crazy is contagious
  • Bike: 2010 dl650x
advice please, throttle cable replacement
« on: July 17, 2013, 18:31:06 »
as the title suggests, I'm going to help a friend of mine replace a throttle cable on his bike. its a Honda, although for the life of me I can't recall its name  :groan:  Anyway, were both mechanically inept to be honest although I'm getting better  :fix:   plus I've got more tools than him.

however, I've never attempted a throttle cable replacement. I've even tried searching for the mothod on this forum and others, to compare, and came up with nothing. I can see on my bike its a complete switch assembly with fixed throttle cable housing, a couple of screws underneath and 2 chrome type tubes on top which the cables go through.

if for example I just undid all the screws, the 2 on the plate holding the top tubes down I could be able to pull the cables out and Hello presto? its either me being too anxious about such a simple thing that nobody had bothered putting anything up about it or I'm useless lol
I'm sane, honestly. . . I got a certificate to prove it!

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
Re: advice please, throttle cable replacement
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 18:44:54 »
Usually the throttle housing has 2 screws holding it together, undo those and you will be able to take it apart and 'unclip' the cables there. The other side will be connected to the carb slide/butterfly valve wheel (or in the case of FI to the butterfly wheel.) One cable is to pull the needed bits open and the other is to push them closed so take note which is which at each end. Route the cables exactly the same as the old ones. Adjusting the cables is very important, I usually start with the push cable, it only needs a very small amount of slack. The pull cable usually has a tiny bit more slack than the push one. Let your mate ride it after you've put the cables on and adjusted them, they sometimes feel like they have more slack than you thought when you put them on. Show him how to take up the slack, the cable will stretch a little bit in the first while it's being used.

Lots of pictures taken of both ends from different angles before you undo the cables will help us to help you if it all goes south. In truth it's a much easier job than you'd think and not much to screw up. Just be careful of the screws on the throttle housing, they are sometimes made of cheese, use the right type of screwdriver or face the consequences :)
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 19:08:05 »
Quote from: "willbo"
I've got more tools than him.

= better mechanic obviously!

Quote from: "Juvecu"
they are sometimes made of cheese

They are always made of cheese: sometimes you're lucky and it was carved from the rind.....

You could try to tape/cable tie the new cable to the old before you remove it to draw the new through - usually a damn sight easier than threading it afterwards.
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline willbo

• crazy is contagious
  • Bike: 2010 dl650x
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 20:17:10 »
Thanks blokes :)
I'm sane, honestly. . . I got a certificate to prove it!