Author Topic: sticking clutch  (Read 800 times)

Offline alex wight

sticking clutch
« on: July 17, 2013, 18:05:10 »
If I've not been out on my 2008 DL1000 for a week or so, my clutch sticks. I have to run the bike for 10 minutes or so, and keep working the clutch, before it eventually engages. I can put the bike in gear then release the clutch lever, and nothing. I then go through my ritual.

any ideas??

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
Re: sticking clutch
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 18:33:52 »
It's likely related to the clutch slave cylinder. If you release it the clutch push rod should push the slave cylinder's piston in and the clutch will release. If the slave cylinder piston is binding you will have these symptoms you are getting now because the piston will keep the rod pushed in. Should easily be fixed by a clean and a seal replacement. If the piston is damaged on the outside where it is sliding past the seal then you'll have to replace it as well. Just make sure it's not the clutch master cylinder before you start on the slave: if you release the clutch lever the master cylinder piston should come out with the lever (it's usually the slave cylinder that has the issues rather then the master though.)
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 18:38:52 »
Initially I'd have a look at the hydraulics rather than the clutch itself. Check the fluid level in the master cylinder and if low then check for leaks at the both cylinders and the hose joints. Having checked all this then bleed and top up the system which will flush out any air and other debris. If all this is OK and there is no improvement then check that the engine oil level is not too high which would not normally make the clutch stick but may make it drag. See how you get on and report back if there is no improvement.

Offline alex wight

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 19:38:28 »
Thanks very much blokes, I'll be addressing this when I get back from holidays in 2 weeks. I'll let you know how I get on, thanks again.

alex