Author Topic: Top box /passenger space  (Read 655 times)

Offline Fabman66

• Bike: DL650
Top box /passenger space
« on: July 27, 2013, 08:45:30 »
Morning all, hopefully off this morning to seal the deal on a new v strom 650, just wanted to know if the new model suffers from the same issue as old model in which topbox places the pillion to far forward and makes it difficult to lift the seat off ,
Also any other bits I should ask a about ?should I get chain guard added as optional extra ,so far I have asked for centre stand , knuckle guards, engine cowling , don't need a top box as I have givi one on my gts at the moment but will I need heavier weight bar ends as that what was needed on Vespa .

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
Re: Top box /passenger space
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 08:56:50 »
Hi there. I haven't noticed any issues with topbox and pillion/taking the seat off (I have the Givi Trekker). Personally I wouldn't bother with the chain guard as the one that's already there does the job. You could consider a rear hugger instead from somewhere like pyramid plastics.

Have you ordered OEM bits? Quite a few go for SW Motech, Givi or Heed accessories which can be slightly cheaper. I have OEM crashbars and a few of them have been known to crack due to vibrations - mine were recently replaced under warranty, less than 1yr old... I haven't got heavier bar weights on, though some people report vibrations due to OEM crashbars(?) so they might help. It'd be worth trying first.

The plastic engine cowl looks good though I've started to see a few bikes with a non-OEM metal bash plate so that might be an option depending on whether you plan to go off road?

Offline biglad

• Bike: DL650 L3
Re: Top box /passenger space
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 20:59:49 »
I also have the givi trekker 52l top box. Seat opens and closes no probs and pillion space isn't reduced with it.

I'm using my bike for commuting and am having some bits and bobs added when it goes in for the initial look over. I've got sw motech centrestand and crashbars, pyramid hugger and front mudguard extender and a scott oiler.

I added sw motech handlebar risers (up and back) and they have made a huge difference to comfort.