Author Topic: All done now thanks all.  (Read 735 times)

Offline bikemad

All done now thanks all.
« on: June 18, 2013, 12:37:39 »
If anyone is kind enough I could do with borrowing a stand so I can change fork seals won't take long about 2 hours max I intend to buy one ASAP doubt itd get here in time though weeping seal needs doing cos I wana ride ride ride  :auto-dirtbike:
Stuff everything I've always got me bike ;)

ProfG

Re: Could anyone near Ramsgate lend me a centre stand ?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 12:39:39 »
Centre stand? It'll take you sometime to fit it.

Why don't you use a paddock stand instead?

Offline bikemad

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 12:43:10 »
My paddock stand is no good need the type that fit in the headstock to lift front up one of those would be fine got seals ready but didn't want to jack it up wrong engine been a stressed member if not will have to be carefull with big blocks of wood under it  :shock:

Offline mjc506

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 12:45:58 »
A centre-stand probably won't help you - mine 'balances' forward, even with the front wheel/forks off.

If you have engine bars/bash plate, support it on that, if not, plenty of wood on the underside of the engine will do if you're careful.

Best bet would either be a headstock stand, or strapping the front end up to a joist.
Projects:
DL650 engine rebuild: Complete!
Brighter rear indicators]Complete![/url]
Heated mirrors]Complete![/url]
Cruise control/Speed limiter/V-puter]Pending...[/color]

Offline bikemad

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 12:48:49 »
Most bikes tilt to the front no probs jacking a bike up I'm worried about damaging engine just ordered crash bars & sump plate oh well shall see after work today what I can do  :fix:

Offline jimbo8098

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 13:20:56 »
My mum's 600 naked bandit gets put on 2 jacks when we need to do something we can't do on the side stand. Is a big heavy bike like that can do it , the strom will be fine. Balance is the key here and it will be difficult but if you need the front up , it really is your only option , unless you get said borrowee to sit on the pillion seat and lean back while you do what you do lol

The centre stand tilts forwards as it is really meant for servicing the chain and back wheel as opposed to the front. The only other way would be to put it on a stand like the enduro bikes so that both wheels are off the ground but that is as much a balancing act as the jack method.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 13:28:54 »
I have a center stand and when I changed the tyres last and did my wheel bearing at the weekend I used the center stand and strapped the rear to the ground with a strop around the rear rack and then to a ground anchor.
Raised the front off the ground and was stable on the center stand.
I've got my stand off ebay for £80. It was one of the cheap knock off ones that are a copy of the oem ones. Motoframes was on the box.

Ride Coordinator

Offline bikemad

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 20:07:58 »
Done it now used rear paddock stand & a jack under engine wasn't easy but ifI had to change them again know what to do thanks for replies anyhow goner get shower n diner then off for a ride  :)

Offline mjc506

Re: All done now thanks all.
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 07:15:28 »
nice one :)
Projects:
DL650 engine rebuild: Complete!
Brighter rear indicators]Complete![/url]
Heated mirrors]Complete![/url]
Cruise control/Speed limiter/V-puter]Pending...[/color]

Offline bikemad

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 09:09:50 »
I'm going to get a headstock paddock stand half the price of a centre stand Id only really use it for lubing the chain have got rear paddock for that.

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 08:15:31 »
I got Suzukis centrestand, a bit dear but there's quite a bit to it, only trouble is the assembly obscures one of the shock linkage bolts and the main reason I got it was to be able to remove and grease the linkage bearings. Bugger!